Partial pressure blending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we buy the bottles but never see the same bottle twice and never have to do any hydro's. We just have piece of paper that says the bottle is ours.
I prefer that, but my local Airgas will not do that. That policy changed about 3 months ago for welding gasses, but was always in effect for UHP, ABO, and Medical O2.

I prefer that, but my local Airgas will not do that. That policy changed about 3 months ago for welding gasses, but was always in effect for UHP, ABO, and Medical O2.
I only have 1 small medical bottle but I own it.

Air Gas in Hawaii swaps out my ABO everytime no issues.

Again, Airgas will not exchange or sell medical or ABO cylinders.

I rent the He and O2 cylinders. I could transfer the gas, but for the $160/year for both I don't think it's worth the wear and tear on the Haskel. Being an existing He customer with a lease has made He available this year with no problems so far, though the price has gone up significantly.

Oh, the kind of gas? Aviation grade, because my current supplier thinks USP requires a prescription. (And for He, 5.0, the lowest grade with an actual THC spec from my supplier.)

I own all my cylinders. From actual welding cylinders to dive (O2 welding, O2 aviator, Acetylene, CO2, Mig mix, He). Over the years I have done business with different gas suppliers. Never once was I asked for any paperwork. There was one nice CO2 bottle I used off-roading that had a custom paint job I kept and that was the only one I ever paid for a hydro on. Bit of a pain as I would have to drop it off, come back later after they pumped CO2. They special marked it as customer owned. All the others were exchanged in or out of hydro without question. Just drop off at the gate outside, they take it in. The bigger place will radio in what I dropped off, the smaller places will set it aside and walk me in and do the paperwork. Pay the piper, and they will walk me out (often to pick the cylinder I want) or the man with the radio will have it at the fence waiting for me. I bought cylinders from friends, ads, whatever. It is a core that I turn in for a different cylinder filled with what I want.

I have paid upgrade charges. My little acetylene bottle could not keep up with the demands of the rosebud tip. Took the bottle in, they credited me the cost of the little bottle and charged me the price of the bigger bottle plus the fill. Did the same when I dropped off a little O2 welding bottle and exchanged it for a bigger aviator bottle. Other than the upfront cost I don't see value in rent/lease a bottle over owning one. The acetylene bottle I traded in had sat in the garage for a decade before going in. At $5 a month I would have paid for the bottle twice in those years. There were no added long term costs with owning either. If I were to rent something it would be short term. I could see traveling someplace and renting an O2 cylinder for a month and turning it in when done. I know job sites that rent because they are short term use. Or budget does not exist for capitol purchases but does exist for consumables. I do see reasons to rent. But I see the long term benefits of owning are staying in my future.

I own all my cylinders. From actual welding cylinders to dive (O2 welding, O2 aviator, Acetylene, CO2, Mig mix, He). Over the years I have done business with different gas suppliers. Never once was I asked for any paperwork. There was one nice CO2 bottle I used off-roading that had a custom paint job I kept and that was the only one I ever paid for a hydro on. Bit of a pain as I would have to drop it off, come back later after they pumped CO2. They special marked it as customer owned. All the others were exchanged in or out of hydro without question. Just drop off at the gate outside, they take it in. The bigger place will radio in what I dropped off, the smaller places will set it aside and walk me in and do the paperwork. Pay the piper, and they will walk me out (often to pick the cylinder I want) or the man with the radio will have it at the fence waiting for me. I bought cylinders from friends, ads, whatever. It is a core that I turn in for a different cylinder filled with what I want.

I have paid upgrade charges. My little acetylene bottle could not keep up with the demands of the rosebud tip. Took the bottle in, they credited me the cost of the little bottle and charged me the price of the bigger bottle plus the fill. Did the same when I dropped off a little O2 welding bottle and exchanged it for a bigger aviator bottle. Other than the upfront cost I don't see value in rent/lease a bottle over owning one. The acetylene bottle I traded in had sat in the garage for a decade before going in. At $5 a month I would have paid for the bottle twice in those years. There were no added long term costs with owning either. If I were to rent something it would be short term. I could see traveling someplace and renting an O2 cylinder for a month and turning it in when done. I know job sites that rent because they are short term use. Or budget does not exist for capitol purchases but does exist for consumables. I do see reasons to rent. But I see the long term benefits of owning are staying in my future.
This is the system we have. I make a policy of never renting because they have had some confusion on which cylinders were mine. If they try to charge me a rental I know it is not correct because I own all cylinders I have. The catch is the paperwork. You need to keep the receipts for the cylinders you buy so there is no question they are yours.

I own a medical business so ai get medical grade oxygen and uhp helium. My bottle rental fees are $8 a quarter but ai’m part of a buying group that gets discounts at air gas. Air gas won’t take your bottles here for medical oxygen. I haven’t had to order helium in quite a while since moving to a rebreather so it’ll be interesting to see if they’ll sell me helium next time I need it due to the shortage. I only get one bottle and it lasts months. So we’re a low use medical facility in airgas’ eyes

I have used welding grade O2 for the last year will no Ill effects.
It’s $45-50 for a 249ft3 bottle delivered and it’s 60/yr lease.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom