Partial pressure blending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were one of the first shops selling nitrox anywhere. We've been using 1000cu' of oxygen in our shop every week since about 1986. Guess what, almost every big named tech shop in Florida was using welding grade helium for nearly 2 decades. It's perfectly fine. If you don't believe it, go see how a welding tank and aviator tank are filled exactly the same way, from the same tap.
We're discussing Oxygen. Welding grade Helium is full of all kinds of other stuff, including CO2.

As a large user, within a market with multiple suppliers, bottle rental is negotiable.
We maintain a small supply of between 4 and 5 bundles (pallet with 12 bottles) and the last time Air Liquid wanted to talk to us about bottle rental we responded that if they wanted to start charging for bottles, they were free to stop dealing with us.
Guess what, we still don't pay tank rental, but, Air Liquid does make a lot of money selling us gases every year.
I'm sure that if we only bought gasses for a few thousand Euros a year, we too would be paying for a yearly bottle lease.

Michael

We were one of the first shops selling nitrox anywhere. We've been using 1000cu' of oxygen in our shop every week since about 1986. Guess what, almost every big named tech shop in Florida was using welding grade helium for nearly 2 decades. It's perfectly fine. If you don't believe it, go see how a welding tank and aviator tank are filled exactly the same way, from the same tap.

I agree that welding oxygen is just fine for breathing, but the chain of custody is not the same. If the gas became an issue of any lawsuit, ABO and USP have lot numbers that allow the chain of custody to be tracked. Not being able to show chain of custody could be a big insurance liability. For folks blending their own...chain of custody is not a concern. For a commercial business it should be.

There is also Aviator grade O2.
Buy used bottles, exchange them at your local gas supplier.
Again, Airgas will not exchange or sell medical or ABO cylinders.

72$ a year. 10 years on you have paid for it twice and it still isn't yours.

I also don't have to move it, hydro it, or service the valves. For a whopping $6, it's well worth it. We have a bunch of 4500lb bank bottles. It's a giant pain in the butt any time we deal with it

Again, Airgas will not exchange or sell medical or ABO.

Is ABO = Aviator?

The airgas here will sell us aviator grade oxygen. We used to get it from them when our supplier had issues.

Is ABO = Aviator?

The airgas here will sell us aviator grade oxygen. We used to get it from them when our supplier had issues.
They will sell you their cylinders? Ketchup, Mustard..... :)

I buy ABO all day, and transfer it to my own welding cylinders. Then I don't pay rent on the cylinders....

They will sell you their cylinders? Ketchup, Mustard..... :)

I buy ABO all day, and transfer it to my own welding cylinders. Then I don't pay rent on the cylinders....

No, they'll lease us cylinders. I think it was about 60/year for the lease per bottle. The one here locally doesn't have great customer service, so we dropped them as quickly as we picked them up.

I also don't have to move it, hydro it, or service the valves. For a whopping $6, it's well worth it. We have a bunch of 4500lb bank bottles. It's a giant pain in the butt any time we deal with it
Here we buy the bottles but never see the same bottle twice and never have to do any hydro's. We just have piece of paper that says the bottle is ours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom