Paralenz Dive Camera...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one in early December, and have taken it on 7 different dives. So far I much prefer to hold it in my hand and take pictures with it. And every use the video snap feature if I want some video. I find I jump from DCC to AWB a fair amount, since I'm in a quarry where it gets pretty dark by 40 feet.

I use the XS Foto Panorama Mask. GoMask Panorama | XS Foto

While a little expensive, there's a lot to love about it. The silicone skirt is super soft and forms a ridiculously tight seal. It's very low profile and I really like the panoramic glass. It truly opens the field of view. They have other options if you don't want the panoramic mask. In terms of camera mounting, what makes this mask superior to others is the camera mounting posts are stainless steel and molded into the frame. The side post is also tapped so the mounting screw threads directly to the post eliminating the potential of losing the nut on typical camera mounts. Also, because it's metal you can really wrench it down tight eliminating a common problem with plastic mounts where the camera will tilt and ruin the footage. That typically happens when jumping into the water. Finally, I thought their strap would be a bit gimmicky, but it turns out that it works great for easy loosening and tightening and also serves as a nice back of the head cushion if you whip your head back too far and your first stage is sitting high.

Just got a GoPro 7 , would you recommend this mask over other methods underwater? of sticks and other mounts on non gopro masks? Just bought another awesome mask that fits perfect too.

Just got a GoPro 7 , would you recommend this mask over other methods underwater? of sticks and other mounts on non gopro masks? Just bought another awesome mask that fits perfect too.
I think for the best video quality a camera tray is what you want. If you need hands free or just don't want to carry a camera rig, that mask is really good. Mask mounting will never be as good as holding a tray, unless you're very conscience of the fact there's a camera on your head.

If I'm fishing, I'm wearing it on the mask, if I'm just diving, I'll put it on a stick or tray.

I think for the best video quality a camera tray is what you want. If you need hands free or just don't want to carry a camera rig, that mask is really good. Mask mounting will never be as good as holding a tray, unless you're very conscience of the fact there's a camera on your head.

If I'm fishing, I'm wearing it on the mask, if I'm just diving, I'll put it on a stick or tray.

ok so you prefer stick or tray to the mask mount. I thought I had a winner there for a second. Thanks for the input ill get a stick. tray seems very clunky??

ok so you prefer stick or tray to the mask mount. I thought I had a winner there for a second. Thanks for the input ill get a stick. tray seems very clunky??
IMO what Cuzza said is correct. I started wearing a mask mount GoPro about four years ago, mostly when spearfishing. Have a couple hundred dives worth of generally crappy video as, no matter how much I try to focus on the subject, when I'm hunting I'm constantly looking around. If I wasn't hunting though, I think the video would be good except its impossible to tell the angle of the shot when its on your head. Started with an Octomask and, after two to three years of abuse, the camera mount broke. Great mask so I kept it as a backup. I now have the GoMask and the mount is aluminum so much more robust.

When I don't need hands free video, I use a small stick if I don't need light and a tray if I do. The camera is out in front of you and much easier to handle. I got the tray with a light for Bonaire. Small tray with single arm for a light. Not really cumbersome at all. I just upgraded to a GoPro 7 from the 4 and the low light capabilities of the 7 are vastly superior.

Hope this helps,

Ken

One of my buddies has a Paralenz camera. He tends to use it handheld. The video he's taken has been very good overall.

I would be interested in feedback, but my understanding of head mounted cameras is that they tend to result in very jumpy images. People move their heads quite a lot, and the resulting video is not comfortable to watch. I am happy to be corrected on this.

Most of those I dive with over the years who have done video, prefer hand held options. Granted some of those are carrying cameras which do both video and stills. But a couple of people I dived with exclusively did video, and they had quite large trays to help stabilise the camera. I know image stabilisation has improved considerably over the years.

Anyone tried both the GoPro7 and Paralenz? I'm thinking of getting one or the other. Paralenz seems like it might be cheaper by the time you buy all the accessories for the GoPro, but I'm not sure I want to go without a screen. I'll probably take more photos than video, and I'm more interested in an easy system that does an adequate job than taking the best possible photos.

Anyone tried both the GoPro7 and Paralenz? I'm thinking of getting one or the other. Paralenz seems like it might be cheaper by the time you buy all the accessories for the GoPro, but I'm not sure I want to go without a screen. I'll probably take more photos than video, and I'm more interested in an easy system that does an adequate job than taking the best possible photos.
I haven't had a chance yet to dive with either one, but I was looking at both the GoPro and the Paralenz. The Paralenz is like $250 more than the GoPro with a housing. I decided to buy the Paralenz because I liked its size (like a small flashlight) and because it was recommended by a friend.

Hope I made the right choice, it's my first camera.

...I decided to buy the Paralenz because I liked its size (like a small flashlight) ...
Hope I made the right choice, it's my first underwater camera.

It's crazy how many people think I'm just holding a flashlight. I actually clip it on the same retractor as my flashlight without any issues. You do have to be fairly careful about keeping it vertically aligned.

Let me know how it works out for you! I've seen relatively few reviews, especially for the most recent model, and it seems like there's a high percentage of complaints of defects (but hard to say with such a small sample size.) I've been using an older model GoPro I borrowed and have to give back; I've been able to aim it where I want without a screen but hate that I can't tell whether the pics came out until long after the dive is over. None of my cenote pics are remotely usable, which may have been the case even if I'd known they weren't coming out while I was still down there, but at least I could have played around a bit.

Back
Top Bottom