Paralenz Dive Camera...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious about mounting a GoPro on a mask: will the bubbles appear on the video ?

Did anyone review all the masks for GoPro mounts ?

Agree on the lights issue. Some screen grabs of Paralenz video:

21m, very green water (me in the blackout mask, I was told it was green ...)

View attachment 460448

Here you can see how nice the reds come out, and you can see the light beams looking red

View attachment 460449

At 50m in same green water, the lights turn everything super red. (Cauliflower coral in the distance)

View attachment 460451

I really want to like this camera, but I'm still uncertain about it's abilities. I'm reluctant to invest and then be disappointed (my experience with Go Pro's in the past has left me cynical. That said I'm not looking to make a full length video, but just have nice shots of things that interest me. My other option is something like a G5x and a robust compact housing - a completely different price range

I saw a friends footage and it really was green. I downloaded the footage onto my iPad to play with and the app isn't great and I can't seem to find where the files actually live

So questions - What's the best way to colour correct - and decent software that doesn't cost the earth?

Perhaps @CuzzA can chime in also

I really want to like this camera, but I'm still uncertain about it's abilities. I'm reluctant to invest and then be disappointed (my experience with Go Pro's in the past has left me cynical. That said I'm not looking to make a full length video, but just have nice shots of things that interest me. My other option is something like a G5x and a robust compact housing - a completely different price range

I saw a friends footage and it really was green. I downloaded the footage onto my iPad to play with and the app isn't great and I can't seem to find where the files actually live

So questions - What's the best way to colour correct - and decent software that doesn't cost the earth?

I use the GoPro software that is free. I try on the clips to get something white on the screen for a moment and then use white balance on that, seems to do the trick.

If you are on a site where the lighting conditions aren't changing, take a small clip of a slate. Afterwards, white balance on that, save as a preset. then apply that preset to the videos afterwards. Makes a huge difference.

I am curious about mounting a GoPro on a mask: will the bubbles appear on the video ?

Did anyone review all the masks for GoPro mounts ?
Yes, occasionally bubbles will appear with a GoPro on a mask mount. This will happen if you are stationary. So far with the Paralenz I don't recall seeing any bubbles as the lens is just far enough forward. Keep in mind I usually don't watch the entire hours of dive video and instead just search for the highlights and cut them into short YouTube clips.

There was a period of time Paralenz released a couple firmware updates and things went to hell in a hand basket for a lot of people. The DCC wasn't working right, green footage, blue footage, the footage was over exposed, or it was turning out too dark, almost completely black. I nearly gave up on the camera. Then they finally fixed it and so far everything has been working great. Perhaps the footage you saw from your friend was taken during the time this bad firmware was released.

As of right now I'm happy with camera. My critiques still remain regarding the battery though. They really need to focus on user replaceable batteries or external or wireless charging. I haven't had an issue yet, and the rear cap does have three o rings, but every time I open up any dive gear electronic device I always worry about whether it sealed correctly. Be it a camera, computer or flashlight.

Regarding software, again my focus was creating a system that allowed me as little time as possible in post production. I wanted quality footage without filters or having to color correct later. This led me to Movavi Video Suite. Video Maker | How to Make a Video with Movavi Video Suite So far I've been really happy with it and I've tried a bunch of different apps. What I like is you can edit the raw video footage. This saves a ton of time as most apps require you to convert the raw footage to a different format. The software also has a lot of great effects, transitions, text overlays and other nifty features. I've found for quality videos simple is better, but nevertheless, the time saved by editing raw footage is huge.

If you do download the trial version, I learned that if you try to uninstall the app it will offer you the software at something like 40% off. A nice surprise and a good savings.

Yes, occasionally bubbles will appear with a GoPro on a mask mount. This will happen if you are stationary. So far with the Paralenz I don't recall seeing any bubbles as the lens is just far enough forward. Keep in mind I usually don't watch the entire hours of dive video and instead just search for the highlights and cut them into short YouTube clips.
What’s your favourite mask with a mount for GoPro ?

What’s your favourite mask with a mount for GoPro ?
I use the XS Foto Panorama Mask. GoMask Panorama | XS Foto

While a little expensive, there's a lot to love about it. The silicone skirt is super soft and forms a ridiculously tight seal. It's very low profile and I really like the panoramic glass. It truly opens the field of view. They have other options if you don't want the panoramic mask. In terms of camera mounting, what makes this mask superior to others is the camera mounting posts are stainless steel and molded into the frame. The side post is also tapped so the mounting screw threads directly to the post eliminating the potential of losing the nut on typical camera mounts. Also, because it's metal you can really wrench it down tight eliminating a common problem with plastic mounts where the camera will tilt and ruin the footage. That typically happens when jumping into the water. Finally, I thought their strap would be a bit gimmicky, but it turns out that it works great for easy loosening and tightening and also serves as a nice back of the head cushion if you whip your head back too far and your first stage is sitting high.

I just bought a Paralenz camera for Christmas (my gift from me to me LOL). I haven't been diving with it yet, but a friend of mine shot this video with his. I think he was holding the camera in his hand and a dive light in the other hand.

Back
Top Bottom