Paralenz Dive Camera...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Since so many of us record our dives with action cameras I'm putting this here in the Basic forum to reach more of you who may be considering a dive camera, an upgrade or simply are unsure if the Paralenz is worth it.

So I received this camera yesterday as a birthday gift and upon opening the box everything appeared very well packaged. Like we would expect from a top tier company. They included separately with the box a new rear end cap made out of aluminum rather than the original plastic cap. Obviously with a new startup there will be some issues to overcome and it appears they are addressing those issues. Which I will get to in a moment.

The camera feels very well built, in fact it's a tad heavy. The rear cap is sealed with three o-rings. It has a unique ring on the outside that can be turned to change settings and a single button to initiate recording and taking pictures. It also has a very small screen in the rear to indicate certain settings.

I should point out this camera is purpose built for divers and so it has some of the features we are familiar with in our dive computers. For example, it logs your depth profile, dive time and temperature. One nice advantage is you can set the camera to automatically record when you begin your descent. Much like your dive computer automatically starts to operate based on the pressure sensor. No more forgetting to turn the camera on.

I will let you guys research all the technical specs and only point out the one major technological advantage to this camera compared to others is that it has the option to use their DCC tech. Depth Color Correction. Basically, because the camera has a depth gauge they have created the tech to automatically adjust and color correct your footage based on your depth. No more red filters or post production color editing. You can choose between two options, blue water or green water. This alone is what really peaked my interest about this camera. Since we want to keep our dive videos brief (less than a few minutes), it should be nice to simply film, upload, cut and share. Thus saving a ton of time.

Here's an example. Not perfect, but good enough.

So that is some of the pros, now to the cons.

There were a couple oversights in the design of this camera, IMO. Keep in mind everyone dives differently and has there own activities underwater so some of these cons won't apply to everyone.

First, the minor stuff. I think they should have put the charging contacts on the outside of the body. As we all know, every time we open a computer, flashlight or camera there's a possibility the o-ring doesn't seat right or twists, tears, etc. and we know what happens next. Also, it has a built in rechargeable battery. So once it's dead, there's no swapping batteries. You have to charge it. I don't know what the procedure is for when the battery will no longer hold a charge. I will find out and report back. Fortunately it appears the battery will last for 2+ hours on a single charge, which should be plenty for most of us. Especially if we recharge during surface intervals. Think portable charging packs.

So those are some minor issues, now for more pressing issues which are more specific to hands free mask mounting this camera. If you use this camera on a tray or stick, then I wouldn't be too concerned with my following critique, but if you plan on mask mounting, listen up.

The camera is a lip stick tube bullet style camera and so unfortunately it will not work out of the box with a mask that has a GoPro style mount, like my GoMask for example. The camera simply extends too far back preventing you from donning your mask. That was disappointing to learn, especially since I first inquired about that issue and I was told it would work.

After giving up on that idea I then turned to their mask strap mount. From there I got a bit frustrated. The mount does not sit parallel with your mask/line of sight. The camera mount pushes away from your face and would consequently film at an angle off to your side rather than whatever you are looking at. Furthermore, there is no way to adjust the trim. On my GoPro I usually angle the camera up because if I'm in good trim, my face is not looking straight head, rather it's facing down a bit, yet my eyes are compensating and looking ahead.

Now, in their defense, they have released a new mask mount that does allow you to adjust the trim, but you'll have to tie down the mount so that the camera stays parallel. They need to revisit this design as there's some flaws. It appears it was designed for divers wearing hoods rather than tropical divers. The strap mount has an unusual bend to it and covers part of your ear. This is annoying and why I assume when they developed it they tested it with divers wearing hoods.

So what's the solution? I contacted Paralenz and while they did not provide a solution they were very responsive to me. Very good customer service in fact. I told them I didn't want to use it and forgo my ability to return it for a refund if this would not meet my simple expectations. The CMO asked me to dive it and if I'm not happy then return it, so I agreed.

Now, I pondered for a while trying to figure out the simplest way to make this work and decided to buy a couple different extension arms and hopefully that will allow me to use the original mount on the GoMask.

I will be diving Sunday and will report back with performance, issues and of course, some video. :)

Unboxing.

32783362_10214741834233776_4796339233851703296_n.jpg

20180517_153253.jpg

20180517_154157.jpg

20180517_152835.jpg

20180517_153520.jpg

Side camera mount issue.

32484564_10214743095945318_7712994886831570944_o.jpg

Here's the Paralenz website.

Camera-front-view-transparent-2.jpg

Paralenz - Home - Paralenz

My GoMask for reference. A really great (and expensive) mask that truly opens up your field of view.

panorama-black2.png

http://www.xsfoto.com/product/gomask-panorama/

Extension Arm #1

61Anu5sYFwL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQPD9DU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Extension Arm #2

61MN8y4C8lL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRIWJAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: It's imperative to upgrade the firmware upon receiving the camera and only use the SD cards Paralenz recommends. Here's some more info. Get the most out of your Paralenz® Dive Camera - Paralenz

I hope this thread helps anyone considering this camera. If you have info please share. I will update with any new info.

How sturdy does that mask mount feel? I just ordered mine hoping I can get some time in the water before I go to Truk in June.

How sturdy does that mask mount feel? I just ordered mine hoping I can get some time in the water before I go to Truk in June.
I would definitely make sure you get the new one.

It's sturdy, but you'll see where you're going to have to tie it down with some line, Velcro or thin shock cord. That is my initial impression. Of course masks, straps and heads are different.

I'd love to hear feedback from you when you get it. I'd be interested to know if you come to the same conclusions as me.

Nice "review"!
A friend of mine has it, and I think it's a nice fancy toy.
I'm not too much into videos, but if I'd change my mind, Paralenz would be the choice.

My LDS has sold a few so far.

I have seen some of the video and it was very good from people using both mask and hand mounts.

My LDS had about three units flood on their first dives though (all in the same manufacturer lot and received at the same time by the LDS). Seems there was an issue with an early lot. At least one of them passed a sink or bathtub test, but still flooded at depth on its first dive. The manufacturer was good about replacing those units in a very timely manner. Although they got good service when they got back, they ended up with no video from a dive trip with no way to replace that. My advice would be to have a couple of check out dives with it before taking it on any major dive trips only to find out you got one from the bad lot. Pretty sure that they have that little bug worked out by now.

Also remember not to use their DCC feature if you will be using any lights. A friend with the camera used it while penetrating a wreck. Video was great until entering the wreck and the lights going on. After that, the picture was just a red screen. That was user error-- using colour correction when none was needed.

Have fun with the Paralenz. Seems a great video camera!

Good advice. For a big trip I would consider capturing some B roll with a second camera. Bring the old camera or pick up a cheap knockoff action camera.

I'll be in Key Largo next month and will be bringing two cameras. Mask mount and tray.

Perhaps the flooding was a result of that plastic end cap issue which now they provide an aluminum one.

For what it's worth, my Paralenz has made six dives so far in the cold water off California. The footage has been really good, and overall I'm very happy with all aspects of the camera.
I've used the mask mount, and had no problems.

I wanted something I could turn on and forget while enjoying my dive.
That's exactly what I got.

Agree on the lights issue. Some screen grabs of Paralenz video:

21m, very green water (me in the blackout mask, I was told it was green ...)

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 17.04.22.png

Here you can see how nice the reds come out, and you can see the light beams looking red

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 17.05.14.png

At 50m in same green water, the lights turn everything super red. (Cauliflower coral in the distance)

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 17.05.43.png

The mask mount is sturdy. Bubbles in the
My LDS has sold a few so far.

I have seen some of the video and it was very good from people using both mask and hand mounts.

My LDS had about three units flood on their first dives though (all in the same manufacturer lot and received at the same time by the LDS). Seems there was an issue with an early lot. At least one of them passed a sink or bathtub test, but still flooded at depth on its first dive. The manufacturer was good about replacing those units in a very timely manner. Although they got good service when they got back, they ended up with no video from a dive trip with no way to replace that. My advice would be to have a couple of check out dives with it before taking it on any major dive trips only to find out you got one from the bad lot. Pretty sure that they have that little bug worked out by now.

Also remember not to use their DCC feature if you will be using any lights. A friend with the camera used it while penetrating a wreck. Video was great until entering the wreck and the lights going on. After that, the picture was just a red screen. That was user error-- using colour correction when none was needed.

Have fun with the Paralenz. Seems a great video camera!

The flooding issue had to do with a bad batch of the end caps that cover the sd card/ charging end. I had two caps that cracked during a dive and a third (that was supposed to be an improved cap) crack after two dives when i reattached the cap after charging. The customer service is amazing (everything had been replaced without question) and they sent me the final endcap version. The new endcaps are aluminum and the only issue i've encountered has been solved. I absolutely love the camera! They've got a private support page on FB that you can join as well and everyone helps eachother out with tips and tricks. If you search on the FB page, the blank video issues seem to be related to doing the firmware updates from the phone app's. The apps intermittently corrupt the firmware. You have to update the firmware directly from the microsd card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom