Palawan Trip Report-Puerto Princesa, Tubbataha, El Nido, Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After skimming your report (will read it in depth later) and looking longingly at all the pix, I'm sure glad I didn't join you on this trip. if I had, I'd probably never have returned to the States! It sure is whetting my appetite for my future trip to the PI.

great trip report man. i must admit i wasnt able to read it all but what would you say is your best dive location in palawan?

im heading to coron on june 9 to 13 and im not expecting great viz as reported by you ang gilligan. the last time i was in coron viz was terrific oct 08

In Palawan? Would be a tossup. Not counting Tubbataha of course.... El Nido and Coron are different kinds of diving. The focus in Coron is really diving the wrecks. I had one of my best dives of the trip there in their marine park though. Great variety, just not the best vis while I was there. There are other dives I could have made there if I'd had more time, so I'll likely make it back at some point in the future.

El Nido was great too, I thought and really under-rated as a dive destination as far as my initial impression is concerned. Would have liked to have spent a few more days in El Nido checking out what else they had to offer.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either place. If you have the time... do both :)

After skimming your report (will read it in depth later) and looking longingly at all the pix, I'm sure glad I didn't join you on this trip. if I had, I'd probably never have returned to the States! It sure is whetting my appetite for my future trip to the PI.

Yes, the Philippines can be addictive :wink:

Even though I wasn't initially planning another trip this year (want to check out some of the other diving in this part of the world before returning to the US next year), I find myself checking plane fares and considering yet another trip :D

Hi Bill,

I enjoyed reading your report immensely! To more great stories and dives to come! I'll be watching out for your next adventure in the PI. Thanks!

Wow

Wow what a great report! So detailed and informative, very helpful when planning a trip, I will make good use of it next March. Thanks!
A question regarding your van ride to El Nido, did you have to pre-book it or did you just show up at the station and happen to get a seat on one?

Thanks Bill22 what a great report, must have taken as long to write as the trip itself !!

Only problem with a fantastic report like this it leads to questions....

I need to travel to an Island in between El nido and Coron called Linapacan Island, my initial investigations pointed me to the Jeezabel that apears in your report. You mention it stopped several times due to a few problems but do you know if it stopped in Linapacan ?

Also anyone else been to Linapacan Island ???

Thanks,

Mat.

i only know that they are (or used to) drill for oil there. its about as far off the beaten path as you can get in those parts.

Wow

Wow what a great report! So detailed and informative, very helpful when planning a trip, I will make good use of it next March. Thanks!
A question regarding your van ride to El Nido, did you have to pre-book it or did you just show up at the station and happen to get a seat on one?

Sorry, I've been completely side-tracked and haven't even looked at this lately. I know I still need to add a little bit to complete it, although the diving portion which most people are interested in is more or less complete.

In answer to your question... I just showed up. Just get there early. You do end up waiting for the van to fill up. I actually paid for an extra seat so we could go ahead and leave. You might wonder why I was the one to pay... because it was small money for me, and likely much larger money for the other people I shared the van with. I tell you that only because maybe the same thing could happen to you. Just something to be prepared for. I was not bothered by this or even surprised.

Thanks Bill22 what a great report, must have taken as long to write as the trip itself !!

Only problem with a fantastic report like this it leads to questions....

I need to travel to an Island in between El nido and Coron called Linapacan Island, my initial investigations pointed me to the Jeezabel that apears in your report. You mention it stopped several times due to a few problems but do you know if it stopped in Linapacan ?

Also anyone else been to Linapacan Island ???

Thanks,

Mat.

Sorry Mat... see above.

I have no idea about the ferry schedule. I'm sure there must be a way to get there. Perhaps from Coron? The ferry I was on made a straight shot from El Nido to Coron. No stops along the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom