Palawan Trip Report-Puerto Princesa, Tubbataha, El Nido, Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, but I maid it in the end, I just went to Coron and got the same ferry, but waved a few extra pesos around and they kindly offered to drop me off, felt sorry for the two backpackers on the boat with me though, must have added a few hours to their trip.

Found a base on an Island called Cagdanao a few hours south, just north of Taytay bay (near Flower Island). I am diving the area for a freind who is setting up a resort in the area. Watch this space people...Will tell more when I know more. Initial diving is superb, an amazing variety of life and not used to divers either. Anyone out this way then PM me as I could do with some company !!

Will get the details of the new resort on here when its finished, still in the construction phase at the moment, but is going to be a very nice resort and the location is ideal for a chilled diving holiday with a fringe reef all encircling the island with a nice drop off on at least two sides (not been all the way round yet due to weather and currents).

Also research on the net looks like there are a few other developments in the area, so hopefully the area will be better known to divers very soon.

Mat

Hey Mat, shoot me a PM when you get a chance. I'd like to know more about this place. Sounds like a place I might like to make a trip too :)

@ Alfred- You're welcome... thanks for reading it :)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to file such a thorough report...bookmarked for prime PI diving.

Sorry, I've been completely side-tracked and haven't even looked at this lately. I know I still need to add a little bit to complete it, although the diving portion which most people are interested in is more or less complete.

In answer to your question... I just showed up. Just get there early. You do end up waiting for the van to fill up. I actually paid for an extra seat so we could go ahead and leave. You might wonder why I was the one to pay... because it was small money for me, and likely much larger money for the other people I shared the van with. I tell you that only because maybe the same thing could happen to you. Just something to be prepared for. I was not bothered by this or even surprised.

Thanks for the tip about the extra seat, sounds very sensible.

As always when planning a trip plans change several times before one even leaves home, this trip is no exception. I`m now thinking of doing this leg the other way round, going from Coron to El-Nido with Tao, spending a few days diving and relaxing in El-Nido then taking the van to PPS for the Tubbataha trip.

Mat, looking forward for more info about that off the beaten trek place you are in now-I`m intrigued

Does anybody have a first hand (second will do too :wink:) experience with Tao Philippines?

Hi,

It appears you had a good experience with the Borneo Explorer. Did you find anything wrong with this boat that you are willing to share with us? Have you made any transiton trip from Anilao to Tubbataha? Your impressions? Thanks.

Rolando

Hi,

It appears you had a good experience with the Borneo Explorer. Did you find anything wrong with this boat that you are willing to share with us? Have you made any transiton trip from Anilao to Tubbataha? Your impressions? Thanks.

Rolando

Hi Rolando,
Sorry, I haven't been making it onto scubaboard much lately. I've been working on my webpage where I've re-posted most of reports from the Philippines.... still working on getting photos posted though... it's been kind of a process...

Anyway to answer your question. I was pretty happy with Borneo Explorer. Good boat, the crew were all nice. No complaints really... the only thing that really bothered me was I missed one dive because they didn't knock on my door. They was a delay (we had some weather issues and had to adjust, which I think I mentioned in the report). I went to my stateroom to take a nap. To let people know to come to the salon for the dive brief, they would walk around and ring a bell. I didn't hear the bell because I was asleep. I was told their policy was to not knock on doors or go in guests staterooms. Once I made it "very clear", that I didn't want to miss dives even if they had to come in and shake me, they always came and knocked on my door after that to make sure I heard the bell :)

Believe it or not some people don't do all the dives! If you're one of those people who do want to make every dive, I suggest that you just make sure they know that. They were always very accomodating :)

Bill,
Thank you for the info. It's something to keep in mind that I need to emphasize to the crew to wake me up for the dive. I already made my reservations with the Borneo Explorer for a trip in early 2010.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom