PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah. Sorry TMHeimer, I didn't realize you were presenting your opinion only. All that you've mentioned (except Project Aware, I believe) do count toward MSD. It is MY opinion that all the rest, taught well, can greatly enhance a diver's skills, and fun, in the water. To each his own. And you're going to find that common sense is not that common. Not by a long shot.

TH are you saying that the master diver cert should only include things that make your buoyancy better? Isn't someone a better diver when they understand part of their diving environment better? PADI photography cert does include discussions and in water skills on buoyancy, a huge component of becoming a better photographer. It sounds like some don't like the master diver cert because it's not just "hard core" skills. Again is there a problem this causes for you or the dive community as a whole with the master diver program as it is?

The value of any class be it diving or otherwise has to be determined by the person taking the class. If it is of no value to me I don't take it, not saying someone else can't get something from it. Do these classes and certs harm the diving community in any way?

TH are you saying that the master diver cert should only include things that make your buoyancy better?

The Master Dive cert is what it is ("Master Card Collector") so to have a problem with what does and doesn't qualify towards it is a bit silly one way or the other. Fish ID counts towards it, too. I'd suggest the skills listed in the "Zombie Diver" course are more valuable than spotting Parrot Fish and Sargent Majors on some reef somewhere.

You know what? This course sounds like fun!

I'm a bit of a zombie nut, and my dive buddy is a card collector. For a couple hundred bucks we could have an entertaining weekend in the water, I get to have some zombie fun, and he can get another card.

Expect me to be a card carrying Zombie Apocalypse Diver by the end of the year!

TH are you saying that the master diver cert should only include things that make your buoyancy better? Isn't someone a better diver when they understand part of their diving environment better? PADI photography cert does include discussions and in water skills on buoyancy, a huge component of becoming a better photographer. It sounds like some don't like the master diver cert because it's not just "hard core" skills. Again is there a problem this causes for you or the dive community as a whole with the master diver program as it is?

The value of any class be it diving or otherwise has to be determined by the person taking the class. If it is of no value to me I don't take it, not saying someone else can't get something from it. Do these classes and certs harm the diving community in any way?

Better buoyancy only... No, Deep Diver and Underwater Nav courses contain stuff regarding safety and efficiency other than buoyancy. Perhaps even Night Diver and Wreck Diver (assuming one plans to do the very basic penetration and it is taught). Search & Recovery-- you may be searching for a lost diver.

Value of a course: All would agree the instructor is the main factor. Everything has some value to whoever takes it, but that doesn't mean you are a better/safer diver. Zombie sounds like fun, and that is value.

Underwater Photog: Yes, I've heard of course that there is a big buoyancy component. But you're supposed to have good buoyancy regardless. PPB on the other hand is all about buoyancy, trim, etc.

Understanding the environment = better diver...A stretch. Yeah maybe somewhat, but a lot of that seems just logic and something you can just ask about when at a new locale. Plus, PADI says never touch anything anyway, if it's an ecological concern.

Problem with the community: Apparently there is one--note the many past threads on PADI MSD (by the way, sorry to all for rehashing this, but I wanted to reply to a post that already brought it up). When I saw that Zombie goes toward MSD, I just thought there's another knock on my MSD Cert. "suitable for framing". NAUI folks must enjoy this.... I personally don't really have a problem with it per se, just an opinion, as I know what I learned to get the MSD.

I know what I learned to get the MSD.

What did you learn to get MSD... that you didn't learn in the comprising specialties?

:d

What did you learn to get MSD... that you didn't learn in the comprising specialties?

:d

Not sure what you mean. Aside from the basic requirements--AOW, Rescue, 50 logged dives-- The MSD simply is the 5 specialties, so aside from those, I learned nothing.

Not sure what you mean. Aside from the basic requirements--AOW, Rescue, 50 logged dives-- The MSD simply is the 5 specialties, so aside from those, I learned nothing.

Sounds like you know what I mean.

:D

Too lazy to read all this thread, sorry, but thought this might amuse:

Please continue...

As a PADI instructor I push courses. Those courses count towards an msd. However the actual title of master scuba diver is very subjective. A diver becomes a master diver in my opinion when he/she has perfected buoyancy, has knowledge of gas laws, practices environmental awareness and responsibility and finally and most importantly: &nbsp;knowing their limits and diving within them. &nbsp;There is no course to make you a master scuba diver. &nbsp;Meeting the prereqs and completing ALL the checkout dives for 8 courses puts you on the way. &nbsp;This is actually a whole other topic that you could debate ad nauseum until the apocalypse happens. &nbsp;<br><br>I created this course to be taken as seriously as the subject matter and bring a little light hearted fun into diving. Yes there are zombies and if students get infected well that's there problem. &nbsp;It's family friendly with no blood or violence.<br><br>like the msd the real value of this course is the bragging rights to say you took it and produce a cert card. The difference is that with this course your card picture is zombified<br><br>Karibell still none. If you have fwd in the subject line it auto deletes<br><br>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom