PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification.

kari

It is for some reason a certification that has been kept rather quiet by Padi. You can't link to it on their web site, while you can link to the DSAT deco and helium courses.

Only reason I know about it is having seen Jim Wyatt mention it once or twice on the board here and also my cave instructor mentioned it to me during my course (along with explaining the history of the other agencies that teach cave).

Also to be honest, training with someone like Jim Wyatt would be awesome. A Padi logo on the card afterwards works just fine.

It is, from what Ive gathered from DSAT TecRec instructors Ive spoken to because PADI still linger a bit on the keeping rec and tec diving separate - which is more than a little curious given the title of their tec courses..

Then let's just call it bad marketing because without performance requirements, it sounds like pandering to pop culture.
"Come take my class!"
"What will I learn?"
"Can't tell you!"
"Here's my money!"
I have to ask - have you actually asked the folks who are offering the course, exactly what the performance requirements are? (I doubt you have, based on your comments, but am willing to keep an open mind. And, if I am wrong, and you have directly communicated with the originators, PLEASE post the details.) Has anyone posting here, who is critical of the course, asked what is really involved in the course, or what the requirements are to teach the course? Or, are you just reading the webpage and reacting out of ignorance? Again, if someone has bothered to actually ask, please let the rest of us know what you learned.

I haven't asked them, by the way. So, I am really not willing to jump in with inane criticism, without any facts, simply based on the name of the course. But, hey, that's just my conservative personality, I guess. I think the name of the course sounds a bit 'off', but I would like to see the details before reacting.
I'm pretty picky about where I spend $200.
Good for you. I am too. Many people aren't. The fact that the course is offered doesn't obligate you (or anyone else) to take it / apply to teach it.
Dive Bug Bit Me:
PADI endorses Zombie Apocalypse Diving and then can't understand why it's PADI cave diver course is met with scepticism.
Actually, I doubt that PADI particularly cares whether uninformed people react with 'skepticism'.
Tigerman:
Technically they are DSAT TecRec courses - but then again DSAT is a PADI affiliate.
And, by the way, PADI announced several years ago that they are phasing out the 'DSAT' label, and bringing everything under the 'PADI' logo. If you look at the page that the link (TecRec Cave Diver | TecRec Blog) leads to, you see that it is 'PADI Tec/Rec' at the top, and 'DSAT' is now relegated to a small presence at the bottom.

I have to ask - have you actually asked the folks who are offering the course, exactly what the performance requirements are? (I doubt you have, based on your comments, but am willing to keep an open mind. And, if I am wrong, and you have directly communicated with the originators, PLEASE post the details.) Has anyone posting here, who is critical of the course, asked what is really involved in the course, or what the requirements are to teach the course? Or, are you just reading the webpage and reacting out of ignorance? Again, if someone has bothered to actually ask, please let the rest of us know what you learned.

I sent them an email a couple of days ago asking about performance requirements and haven't heard back yet.

kari

It is, from what Ive gathered from DSAT TecRec instructors Ive spoken to because PADI still linger a bit on the keeping rec and tec diving separate - which is more than a little curious given the title of their tec courses..

The Tec40 is very much a transitional course IMHO. It's a good stand-alone for recreational divers who aren't interested in 'tech', but want precision dive planning, gas management, improved core skills and the capacity to manage potential emergency decompression. It's also a good 'lite intro' for later technical courses.

PADI doesn't offer a cave diver course.

I'd concur. Whilst others have mentioned the 'distinctive' option - I don't see that as "PADI offering...". That's unique to a specific instructor and, essentially, will just be another agencies' cave course repackaged with a PADI card. Same for technical wreck...

I know multiple instructors that teach PADI cave course, most teach for multiple agencies but then again most cave instructors I know teach for more than one agency.

Why PADI hides tec 45 and 50 Trimix baffles, I like the Idea of introducing He shallower rather than deeper, Deep air is a thing of the past.

Why PADI hides tec 45 and 50 Trimix baffles, I like the Idea of introducing He shallower rather than deeper, Deep air is a thing of the past.
The only reason I can think of is it falls in the category of "unsupported" in terms of materials. FWIW - My wife won't attempt Tec 45/50 due to concerns about narcosis. (We are aware Tec 50 Dive 4 allows light mix)

Back
Top Bottom