PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our liveaboard trip was going well until our converted Soviet-era biological research vessel turned out to contain some very nasty critters.

Towards the end, the NAUI instructor told his charges to locate a non-infected crewmember and head for shore.

The SSI instructor told his charges to inflate on the surface, drop weights, and use their surface signaling devices.

The PADI instructor announced that there would be a $200 charge for this unscheduled specialty training opportunity.

sutherland.jpeg

Quidditch you're going to have to explain to me. I didn't read those books.

The game of wizards according to the Harry Potter books. Kind of like polo but played on broomsticks.

I brought it up because it's just as real as zombies and almost as relevant to scuba diving. Ironically though, divers on scooters would probably be about the closest we could come to simulating it.

They don't share the performance requirements because someone may copy it. Why people don't sell their outlines, I'll never know, but that's another discussion. I'm going with option B. This just screams to me as an attempt for PADI to approve something that's more culturally relevant than anything and make a quick buck. Perhaps if they shared more of the outline, I'd change my mind, but this just looks cheesy and a way to help build the Put Another Dollar In mentality.

FYI: I'm a huge zombie genre fan, so I should actually be interested in this. However, my desire for education and value supersedes my love for zombies.

Is the irony of someone with the screen name of "scubamarketing" finding fault with a creative way to market scuba lost on you? Seriously...

The outline of the course, while not detailed, does seem to indicate that there are some actual skills involved. He'll, it might well be superior to most AOW courses I've seen. If this shop found a fun, "culturally relevant" way to get people to come out, take a class, learn some skills, and dive locally... I'd say they've got a far better grasp of "scubamarketing" than most people in the industry.

PADI endorses Zombie Apocalypse Diving and then can't understand why it's PADI cave diver course is met with scepticism.

200 bucks for a novelty cert card seems a little steep, IMHO.

OTOH, if it comes with a cool knife, I'm in!

Ka-Bar-Zombie-Killer-Knives-1.jpg

PADI endorses Zombie Apocalypse Diving and then can't understand why it's PADI cave diver course is met with scepticism.

I'd be skeptical too. PADI doesn't offer a cave diver course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom