PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had heard that the performance requirements would be made public last weekend. Has anyone seen them yet?

Not trying to get into the debate on this topic, to each their own, but after reading all this, has anyone actually figured out if there is any practical benefit to this course besides just the extra diving time? Has anyone head anything reading the skills being taught in this course.. if any?

I read somewhere that there is some rescue stuff, but we'll have to wait for the skill list to come out I guess. Will be interesting if there is rescue stuff other than what's in Rescue Course.

I believe sharkdiver289 is the one with the performance requirements. Not public yet, although I had been told they would be made so about a week ago... Until they are, this is just coffee klatch.

It was mentioned that they would not be available untill legally protected against people who might want to rip off the concept, was it not?

Just my two cents, but this type of mixing a sports event with zombie pop culture is not uncommon..see https://www.facebook.com/run.for.your.lives whereas runners are chased by zombies to which public response has been good. Why can't diving be fun as well under the right circumstances? Why must we be elitist in our chosen sport? Like many have already said, if you don't like it don't take the course, its as simple as that.

In addition, what if there is zero new skills being taught (again no idea what will be taught) but it interested people into getting back in the water or maybe someone sees it and decides they want to try diving. I see no harm in promoting a course like this. What harm is it going to cause? As Darren said seems a bit elitist to be so critical of this. If it's not for you, don't take it.

I agree with most that diving is suppose to be fun, safe but fun too. So if divers want to take this course to have fun, I am glad that PADI is supporting a fun diving activity.

This coming weekend I am running in a 5K "mud-run" with military obstacles. I am almost 50 and I am running it for NO OTHER REASON than to have fun with my family and friends. I already did the Army thing, served my country, and now I have nothing to prove to others...this will just be fun to do. Divers that want to take a Zombie specialty course are doing so just to have fun...they already passed the OW course and probably then some. Maybe they might be interested in other courses too, e.g. Rescue or P/B. Let's get them in the water. :)

Just my two cents, but this type of mixing a sports event with zombie pop culture is not uncommon..see https://www.facebook.com/run.for.your.lives whereas runners are chased by zombies to which public response has been good. Why can't diving be fun as well under the right circumstances? Why must we be elitist in our chosen sport? Like many have already said, if you don't like it don't take the course, its as simple as that.

I don't see any problem with mixing fun or pop culture with diving. If you want an underwater egg hunt or zombie fest, knock yourself out. Shops and clubs do these things all the time and I don't think anyone is upset about it. What I do find ridiculous is making it an official course and having it count towards things like a "master diver" certification. It trivializes the agency involved.

Why not have an underwater super heroes course or underwater vampire slaying or underwater sasquatch hunting? If we just threw in underwater seances we'd have enough courses to make a master diver right there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom