PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samo615

New
Reaction score
I sat through my last hour long non-certified beginner class in Costa Maya last week on the third dive of my lifetime. I am determined to become certified. My biggest question up front is .. Realizing that a good instructor is the upmost importance, what cerfication agency is recommended... PADI or NAUI?

Why limit yourself to PADI v NAUI?

There's also:
  • SDI
  • TDI
  • SSI
  • SEI
  • BSAC
  • CMAS
  • That guy that does online stuff through his basement
  • Others that I'm drawing a complete blank on

I've got PADI, NAUI, SDI and TDI certifications. The key is the instructor and how much you want to get out of the course.

I sat through my last hour long non-certified beginner class in Costa Maya last week on the third dive of my lifetime. I am determined to become certified. My biggest question up front is .. Realizing that a good instructor is the upmost importance, what cerfication agency is recommended... PADI or NAUI?

Go to grapevine scuba and talk to CB.

Welcome to SB!

As has been said, it is more about the instructor/instruction, and your willingness to learn (and/or demand more)......

Each agency has solid programs.

Over the years, I have used YMCA, PDIC, and NAUI depending on what was available, and the approach of the instructor. If you really want a good read on "what to expect/demand" or the mindset going forward, try and get a copy of Jim Lapenta's book before you do anything else.

Good luck! Have fun! You get out of it what you put in it.

Macht nichts. It's the instructor that matters.

Samo615, As a Padi certified Assistant Instructor I would recemand Padi as your org that you get certified from. PADI is the best one that I have been with, because they are always up to date on their training to make it better, and to ensure that the instructor is up to date with any new training and ways to train. If you wish I would suggest that you look around and talk to the differant places that has Padi, NAUI, and SSI and make the chose that will fit you the best. I hope that this helps alittle
Brian

Samo615, As a Padi certified Assistant Instructor I would recemand Padi as your org that you get certified from. PADI is the best one that I have been with, because they are always up to date on their training to make it better, and to ensure that the instructor is up to date with any new training and ways to train. If you wish I would suggest that you look around and talk to the differant places that has Padi, NAUI, and SSI and make the chose that will fit you the best. I hope that this helps alittle
Brian

what other agencies have you been with?

As an assistant instructor with less than 200 dives, I can't imagine the list is extensive.

Welcome to SB Samo. Enjoy your classes and training. The folks at Grapevine Scuba will provide you with good training and a strong foundation to build on.

After your certification check out our local diving in North TX. We don't have the pretty blue water and giant turtles but there are lots of dive opportunities. Check out the Texas Swamp Divers forum when you get a chance. I am in the North Texas Dive Society with other divers from the NW DFW area. We welcome divers with all levels of experience. Look us up on FB or here if you are interested.

Brian

Really? Is that why they don't have rescue skills in the OW class like NAUI? Allow weekend courses? And don't allow instructors to add material and test on it as part of the process? Or will override an instructors decison not to certify someone who shows a poor attitude towards safety as long as they "master" the basic skills required?

No. I would not recommend them unless you find an old school PADI instructor who doesn't buy into some of this stuff.

There are a lot of lies about how all basic courses are the pretty much the same. They are not. Not by a long shot. And while it is the instructor, it's also what the instructor is allowed and required to do by the standards that make a huge difference. NAUI instructors are required to deviate from the standards if local conditions and the needs of the student require it. A few other agencies allow this also. Because they realize that instruction should not be the same anywhere a student goes. It should be dependent on conditions and what the instructor feels is required in his/her area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom