PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a note from both sides of the fence, I took the PADI OW class, and received my certification from NAUI. I went on to take the AOW class from PADI (only reason is they provide collage credit that I needed). The difference between the two programs is where they teach certain skills. NAU has a lot of First Aid in the OW class; while PSAI places the emphasis on first aid in the rescue diver class and AOW class. The PADI books are more expensive and go into a lot of detail, with some very good information and details of the why and not just the how. Having said that, there is also a lot of ŨO PADI stuff in there as well, and by looking at it you would think if itÃÔ not PADI youÃÓe just not qualified. The other half is a lot of material is really much more then anyone needs to know to be a safe and good diver. Do I really need to know the complete human body from head to toe to understand dive issues? Some of the information is very relevant but allot of it is much more then I need to know or want to know. If this was MED. School that is one thing, but this is diving, not brain surgery 101.

I did like taking the course as it was interesting, and helpful in many respects. But for the price I paid in books is ridiculous. Overall I would recommend the program, but also caution those who take it to ignore some of the material as it does not apply to understanding dive illnesses or dive physics. As for which program is better? My answer is YES. Both programs are very good and both have differences in philosophy but at the end of the day, both programs will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary skills to be a competent and safe diver

Last edited:
My open water was Naui,advanced & were rescuc Padi. Same teacher but the store switched over. My son also had the same teacher and he is Padi. I saw both classes & Naui students are better trained.

Just a question, but since you had the same teacher, do you think it is the materiasl of the teacher that mad the difference. I have had different teachers, all have their own thoughts and some do more then others, even in the same program. I guess waht i am asking is what is the difference in the material that made one better then the other in your mind?

Also thanks for the input, it makes this board what it is!!!

"It's not designed to be a test, it's a CYA document. If you feel that you need a test (and I do) then you give one (and I do)."

And to what point? For the moment assume the answer isn't obvious - I'd like to know what you think you accomplish with a written test?

:popcorn: Oh, yeah! SIX YEARS LATER THIS THREAD IS RUNNING STRONG AND LOOKING GOOD!

Skills taught are almost identical.

PADI Instructors have to certify when all the skills have been tested and completed.
NAUI Instructors can hold back a certification if they feel that the student is not competent, even if all skills are complete.

Incorrect. That is a function of the dive shop and a major failure point. Many dive shops pressure instructors, regardless of agency, to pass all the students. A fail, of course, is bad for business. I have known PADI instructors that have not passed students that are not competent. I have also known instructors that will work with the students till they are competent on all their skills, not just till they can complete them.

NAUI vs PADI doesn't come down to Agency vs Agency. The real, and only true ruler, is the instructor. You get a PADI instructor that cares and and NAUI instructor that cares then then both will turn out equally qualified students. If, however you get a crap instructor, like many I do see, they are gonna turn out subpar students regardless of their agency.

Last edited:
NAUI vs PADI doesn't come down to Agency vs Agency. The real, and only true ruler, is the instructor. You get a PADI instructor that cares and and NAUI instructor that cares then then both will turn out equally qualified students. If, however you get a crap instructor, like many I do see, they are gonna turn out subpar students regardless of their agency.
The second part of your statement is correct, crap instructor, subpar student ... in fact, due to the rigidity of the PADI structure I'd posit that with crap instructors the PADI course might be better. However, given two instructor that care and are proficient, the more open structure of the NAUI course, combined with that ability to teach rescue subjects will result, I feel, in a better program. Of course, the probability of encountering each sort of instructor, within each agency, must also be taken into account.

Last edited:
Skills taught are almost identical.

PADI Instructors have to certify when all the skills have been tested and completed.
NAUI Instructors can hold back a certification if they feel that the student is not competent, even if all skills are complete.

Incorrect. That is a function of the dive shop and a major failure point.

I am not sure what part you are referring to that is incorrect. I cannot speak to PADI Instructors, but as a NAUI Instructor I can and will withhold a certification if I feel the student has not competently performed the skills as I have outlined to them. I discuss in detail how I would like the skills to be done, why the skills are important in the first place, and give constructive criticism as to how to correct any bad techniques or habits. I again give them a chance to complete the skills until they can demonstrate a comfort in the water performing the skill. I want to know that in a real world environment, without me present, that the student can perform the skill to assist themselves or another diver during a stressful moment. I am not necessarily seeking a text book performance, but I do want to see that they understand the concept and purpose behind the skill and that it can be executed at the right time in the right manner. As an Independent Instructor I am not bound to a shop so I have no pressure to certify anyone I feel is not competent in the water. Competency is more than just the reproduction of skills. It is a mental mind set that demonstrates an ability to think, act, and perform approriate skills at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. This is why to me, merely completing the skills is insufficient.

I cannot speak to PADI Instructors.....
Now you can. Speak to me! I'm an independent too. Maybe it has more to do with independence than the agency?

I am not sure what part you are referring to that is incorrect. I cannot speak to PADI Instructors, but as a NAUI Instructor I can and will withhold a certification if I feel the student has not competently performed the skills as I have outlined to them. I discuss in detail how I would like the skills to be done, why the skills are important in the first place, and give constructive criticism as to how to correct any bad techniques or habits. I again give them a chance to complete the skills until they can demonstrate a comfort in the water performing the skill. I want to know that in a real world environment, without me present, that the student can perform the skill to assist themselves or another diver during a stressful moment. I am not necessarily seeking a text book performance, but I do want to see that they understand the concept and purpose behind the skill and that it can be executed at the right time in the right manner. As an Independent Instructor I am not bound to a shop so I have no pressure to certify anyone I feel is not competent in the water. Competency is more than just the reproduction of skills. It is a mental mind set that demonstrates an ability to think, act, and perform approriate skills at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. This is why to me, merely completing the skills is insufficient.

My "incorrect" part was that Instructors don't "HAVE" to certifiy somebody because they performed the skills because their agency tells them. The agency doesn't tell them to do that. They do, because the dive shop tells them to. I know personally, 2 different instructors that quit, from different shops, because they were tired to being told to pass students (by the dive shop, not the agency) that were unsafe, but could slide by on the skills. They felt some students needed more work, or were simply unsafe. When they didn't pass them the dive shops told them to pass them. When they got sick of it they chose to go the independent route. That way they can take their time with the students and make sure they are ready, instead of running on a schedule imposed by the dive shops for maximum turnover.

Back
Top Bottom