PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Online students are required to be evaluated by an instructor in person, take the final test in person and do the pool work at the LDS. you can't take the test on line.

Actually, they take the final exam online. What they take in person is a quick review test like the 18 question test we give to students before they begin aow to make sure they remember the meat and potatos from ow. The quick review is closed book.

That is a very good point the poster a while back brought up - how do you know it is the student that is actually doing the work? Well there's an age limit and the quick review test the assessment. I'll tell you for as skeptical I was about the online program in the beginning, I think it is wonderful. A win win situation. I think a bit of qualifying has to go into it, but for the right self motivated individual who is intelligent with good watermanship but who is short on time like business owners or travellers....perfect.

You guys and gals have cracked me up. I read nearly every post on this subject and enjoyed it all. great entertainment when you have nothing else to do

That aside, I am looking at getting certified but still not quite sure which to go with. I have done a one day guided dive after about a 30 min lesson while on vacation on Australia. I think it was NAUI, not sure. Many moons ago.

But from what I gathered, and please correct me if I am wrong, but most of you believe that the short quicky courses whether with PADI or NAUI, for a quick certification, are not the best way to go? But instead enroll into a longer more detailed course to get the full benefit in learning the safety and skills needed to become an entry level safe diver?

I am sure some of the instructors are in it just for the money and offer those quick courses, but i would like to avoid those at all costs. If i had to enroll in a 60 hour course to make sure I have everything covered then so be it.

But from what I gathered, and please correct me if I am wrong, but most of you believe that the short quicky courses whether with PADI or NAUI, for a quick certification, are not the best way to go? But instead enroll into a longer more detailed course to get the full benefit in learning the safety and skills needed to become an entry level safe diver?

I am sure some of the instructors are in it just for the money and offer those quick courses, but i would like to avoid those at all costs. If i had to enroll in a 60 hour course to make sure I have everything covered then so be it.

The problem will be finding a longer course. Now that the YMCA is out of scuba, the choices may be limited. You'll need to do some checking around.

Yes, absolutely, a longer program is recommended.

Richard

The problem will be finding a longer course. Now that the YMCA is out of scuba, the choices may be limited. You'll need to do some checking around.

Richard
He lives in LA, there is a great option for him, LA County!

Richard
I would advise you to interview several instructors and go with one that you are comfortable with regardless of which agency they belong to.

rstofer:
The problem will be finding a longer course. Now that the YMCA is out of scuba, the choices may be limited.

Most YMCA Instructors have already crossed over to SEI. SEI has similar standards.

I don't necessarily think "more detailed" is the operative term. Rather, "longer" is the key. Spreading out the same information allows a better attempt as mastery than cramming it into a weekend or two. It makes the absorption of information easier (and thus more effective), not harder as many assume.

You guys and gals have cracked me up. I read nearly every post on this subject and enjoyed it all. great entertainment when you have nothing else to do

That aside, I am looking at getting certified but still not quite sure which to go with. I have done a one day guided dive after about a 30 min lesson while on vacation on Australia. I think it was NAUI, not sure. Many moons ago.

Definitely talk to the instructors you are interested in using. The certification agency really doesn't matter unless you are wanting a really in depth education which is great but may be more than you need for your level of interest. Find out what the instructors are going to teach you and how. The more in water training the better. I took a PADI Open Water class that included 8 open water dives. That really made a difference in the "in water comfort" for many of the participants of that class. And gave them valuable time to practice what they had been taught with an instructor close by to correct any mistakes.
Welcome to a really wonderful sport. :)

Check out CMAS at CMASAmericas.com for in depth, comprehensive courses. No zero to hero in a weekend courses here.

Back
Top Bottom