PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any time that a staff member consciously places his or hand on a student in a fashion that places the student in a disadvantageous position compared to where they were prior to the staff members action, that's harassment, and in many jurisdictions, especially if an injury were to result, if would also be assault.

Any time that a staff member consciously places his or hand on a student in a fashion that places the student in a disadvantageous position compared to where they were prior to the staff members action, that's harassment, and in many jurisdictions, especially if an injury were to result, if would also be assault.
If you know of another way to prepare divers for the eventuality of unexpectedly losing their mask or reg, I'm all ears.

I suspect that's going to be a longish discussion, that has nothing to do with agencies. It is a discussion that I will be glad to contribute to. I will start a new thread for it.

It's arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. So few new people want to learn to dive, this argument has missed the boat.

I am going to throw my 2 cents in here regarding standards and differences between agencies. While I am new to the sport, I made a number of observations (being a Military member who has spent a number of years in an instructional role).

I was fortunate to have 1 on 1 instruction by a very experienced NAUI Instructor, and he taught and verified many of the skills that some on this board have stated as not being required for NAUI certification. For one, I did no-mask breathing. I also did air-sharing drills.

At the same time, SCUBA is something that I had always WANTED to do, but always put off as "something that I would eventually get around to". It was my desire to actually cross it off of my bucket-list that got me motivated to finally get certified (and boy am I ever glad I did. Now I am wishing that I hadn't procrastinated and gotten certified earlier.)

That said: While I have had no exposure to PADI or other organizations and their instructional methods, I think that it is safe to say that so long as an organization teaches safe and standardized methods (and takes the time to truly teach) AND the student is motivated to learn (probably THE most important factor), then there shouldbe no difference in the final product.

It is about caring about what you are producing. In the case of a Dive Instructor, it is a newly qualified Diver.

Beck

Lets just call a spade a spade.......Naui and Padi teach the same basic stuff. The real differances between the two lie in the leadership level, and thats all there is to it. Padi instructors are much more structured than Naui is, and they also have to get more individual certifications. A Naui instructor can teach OW-DM including First aid/CPR/O2 as soo as they are instructors.

Actually, NAUI requires rescue skills to be taught at all levels (PADI only at Rescue Diver). The Scuba Diver course in NAUI requires 5 open water dives, the Advanced Scuba Diver requires 6 and Master Scuba Diver isn't a bunch of specialties it is an actual course that teaches physics, physology, etc plus 8-10 dives. Finally, NAUI believes that to dive safely, divers need to be both physically and mentally capable of doing so. Not at all that PADI does not (I'm am a PADI MI, and a member for the last 20 years) it is that NAUI requires it's instructors to ensure students have a "higher level" of competency.

Good instructors abound in each agency, NAUI simply spells it out more!

You didn't read the same sets of standards I read.
Actually, i have read the standards........and as i said before, at a basic level, the two agencies teach the same skills. The differance lies in the advanced courses. Yes NAUI does get more in depth in the classroom, but i cant name one boat, DM, or instructor that doesnt recognize the other agencies training as valid. I dont care if you are a NAUI, PADI, SSI, YMCA or whatever kind of diver, what matters is that you dive.

No matter which agencies at this moment for me.
but anyone did it by cross it over from PADI beginner to NAUI professional?
let me know... Thanks:crafty:

Back
Top Bottom