PADI vs cave agency side mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I knew who he was. I'm just laughing about it. I've ALWAYS said it's all about the instructor. It's further proof that the instructor is crucial, you're absolutely right! However, if that's the basis of the entire PADI sidemount system.....it makes you wonder. Also, a cave agency will have sidemount taught by cave instructors. Again, not a guarantee.....but you'll have a better chance than with a PADI OWSI that took a crash course in how to strap two tanks to his/her chest.

This all reinforces: If you want the best SM training, guaranteed.....Edd Sorenson and Michal Turek are the best & safest bet.

if i was paid to pose for a PADI photo i would do it too... money is money. Would i pay for a course due to a good photo or just cause the agency? NO
I'd go for the good instructor - especially ones with the good recommendations.

now i've seen a padi cavern course advertised around here that comes with IANTD dual cert. would i be correct in assuming then that the course would probably be taught to IANTD standards instead of just PADI? (and again all comes down to the instructor) and cavern would be the most i'd go myself-- not too fond of tight spaces sometimes.

now i've seen a padi cavern course advertised around here that comes with IANTD dual cert. would i be correct in assuming then that the course would probably be taught to IANTD standards instead of just PADI? (and again all comes down to the instructor) and cavern would be the most i'd go myself-- not too fond of tight spaces sometimes.

In the past PADI course used material that came from NSS-CDS program,but the issue with the PADI c-card is what it takes to become an instructor. Not sure what the standards are now,but it required cave cert,and X# of experience dives. With CDS for example,the instructor has had to intern with other instructors,and pass institute.
Because of this,many cave diving instructors won't accept PADI cavern cards.

In the past PADI course used material that came from NSS-CDS program,but the issue with the PADI c-card is what it takes to become an instructor. Not sure what the standards are now,but it required cave cert,and X# of experience dives. With CDS for example,the instructor has had to intern with other instructors,and pass institute.
Because of this,many cave diving instructors won't accept PADI cavern cards.

i wasn't worried about getting a padi card for it... it was just offered at a padi shop -- but the instructor that was offering it is IANTD certified for intro to cave as well. i would consider it since it gives better understanding of overhead.

i'm not sure i'd want to try switching to sidemount with the tanks i have... unless i have help into the water :)

Ok here I go TARGET is being painted on me for this!
If you train with a SM instructor who does not cave dive then you will look like an OW SM diver.
It comes down to why you want to SM and at what level you want to SM!
If you want to be trimmed out, dive it with flawless perfection then I recommend you learn it from a CAVE INSTRUCTOR who dives SM and can explain the differences btw trim and not trimmed!
It is futile to train when your goals are Cave quality skills with OW instructors.

This being said I realize I am being biased but this is the logic I have used to help me fulfill my dive goals.
I seek out the best in the area I am interested in and then I watch them and their students for a period of time to see if they are what they profess.
It have been a great way to determine what instructors are worth the wait and extra funds.
I wish to not be in a hurry but rather be purposeful direct and master skills.
Again if I have stepped on any toes no harm intended because I know very good Padi instructors both OW and Tech.
SM is something I am passionate about and desire to master it not just get by!

CamG

Cam,
I don't disagree with you, in principle. & as a sidemount newb, I'm no expert.
But here in the great lakes there are a large number of technical wreck diving instructors & not as many cave instructors who are every bit as experienced in overhead environment & teaching sidemount.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike D

Last edited:
I have dove with some of them and you are correct.
I have dove SM in the Great Lakes myself and enjoy it very much.
No disrespect to any of them but when it comes to SM and being in trim it gets simpler to see when you are and when you are not.
It is pretty easy.

You do not need to be a longtime SM'er to be in trim.
Just a student and open to learning the skills and what SM is supposed to look like.
I have seen SM rigs built from every rig you can imagine some worked but some were horrific!
I have a few I built myself it was fun but in hind site it was a waist of time and gas.
That is why when I give advice now I refer them to purchase a rig set up for them.
It saves time and makes the dives far more enjoyable.

CamG

I agree.
I'm using a modified transpac (for now) as I have not decided on a dedicated SM rig yet.

Mike D

If you train with a SM instructor who does not cave dive then you will look like an OW SM diver.

It's hard to "begin with the end in mind", if the instructor has very limited 'ends'.

...there are a large number of technical wreck diving instructors...who are every bit as experienced in overhead environment & teaching sidemount.

Full Cave and Technical Wreck are very comparable courses in terms of requirements, protocols, skills and drills. An instructor with pedigree in either aspect of overhead environment diving should perform/teach sidemount to the same exacting standards - and have a more refined 'end' in mind for their sidemount students.

Also, look for instructors who teach true 'advanced' sidemount in overhead environments. These courses (differ from 'technical' sidemount) focus on small-passage diving, use of multiple stages etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom