PADI vs cave agency side mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started as a PADI diver and my great instruction was based on instructor not agency. Same goes with my certs through NAUI and PSAI. But if the attached pictures are any indication of what PADI sidemount is creating, stay way far away. What's in the picture looks like the typical clunky rb bailout setups than sidemount. I think I said it in your other thread, go to Edd's. The quality of training will determine your future as a diver and you don't know what you don't know

padi-americas-1.jpg

sidemount_padi.jpg

Depends on the instructor, having seen good instructors and ****e ones from a number of agencies for sidemount, do some instructor research. +1 for Cave Adventurers and Ed Sorensen though.

I started as a PADI diver and my great instruction was based on instructor not agency. Same goes with my certs through NAUI and PSAI. But if the attached pictures are any indication of what PADI sidemount is creating, stay way far away. What's in the picture looks like the typical clunky rb bailout setups than sidemount. I think I said it in your other thread, go to Edd's. The quality of training will determine your future as a diver and you don't know what you don't know

padi-americas-1.jpg

sidemount_padi.jpg

Picture was very informative and perhaps it will help my sidemount diving. I should have arms extended with left hand on top of right when diving with a buddy. But,if you have a deco bottle you need to have right hand on top of left.

Kelly, you also need to make sure your valves are 2ft below your body....this makes it easy to check the durability of your regulators.

Do you guys realize that the person in said picture is a cave instructor for NSS-CDS and IANTD, as well as an instructor for TDI and SDI? And he's based in Florida.
So I don't think the agency matters as much as the instructor.

Jeff Loflin himself.

Kelly, you also need to make sure your valves are 2ft below your body....this makes it easy to check the durability of your regulators.

Miflex has a new line of stretchy hoses made from bungee cord for this application.

Last edited:
Do you guys realize that the person in said picture is a cave instructor for NSS-CDS and IANTD, as well as an instructor for TDI and SDI? And he's based in Florida.
So I don't think the agency matters as much as the instructor.

Oh, I knew who he was. I'm just laughing about it. I've ALWAYS said it's all about the instructor. It's further proof that the instructor is crucial, you're absolutely right! However, if that's the basis of the entire PADI sidemount system.....it makes you wonder. Also, a cave agency will have sidemount taught by cave instructors. Again, not a guarantee.....but you'll have a better chance than with a PADI OWSI that took a crash course in how to strap two tanks to his/her chest.

This all reinforces: If you want the best SM training, guaranteed.....Edd Sorenson and Michal Turek are the best & safest bet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom