PADI Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your right that a significant number of Padi instructors are not competent enough to teach OW. IMO it only takes ONE that can't teach to be significant when were talking about scuba. In that case you could say that ALL agencies are at fault.

I deal with "certified" divers everyday and can honestly say that my worst experiences with suicide divers where not padi certified.

I had a newly certified couple from another agency just last week that wanted to know the reason for the SI between dives. They had never heard of residual nitrogen.

Are you basing your judgement and opinion on personal experience or what you've heard. You said yourself that the reason you continued thru the padi path of further education was because of your instructor.

There is a way to dive to 165 FSW on air with reasonable safety.

Using a helmet, surface supplied with continuous com link so that surface personel can monitor the diver at all times. The diving supervisor can tell from listening to the diver's breathing if he is in trouble, doing OK, staying focused on the job and a few other things also.

That said, even commercial divers, surface supplied don't generally want to use air deep. We are down there to get a job done and the more narced you are the harder and slower the work goes.

Yea, deep air is not a good way to dive.

michael

PADI Trimix instructors. This is a generational thing

I will predict that most Technical instructors out there today have a PADI instructor certification hidden away somewere.

Up until now if you were a PADI instructor or just an advanced diver and you wanted to get into tech diving you needed to seek out a different agency, as your tech training progressed through that agency you then advanced to the instructor level and eventualy became a trimix instructor with xyz agency.

What has changed with the next generation of tech divers is that PADI will offer the tech trinaing within their own organization.
so if you are a PADI [brainwashed instructor] and you want to seel tech diving then you just keep moving up the ladder.

our next generation of tech diving instructors will be overwhelmed with PADI tech instructors.

Today instructors from other agencies can move back to PADI if they want so the new PADI instructors will most likely have instructor certifications from agencies who have been teaching tech diving for some time.

None of this has anything to do with quality of training, but if we look at that aspect of it. and believe that non PADI tech instructors are best then the first batch of PADI TEc Rec instructors would be best.

To date I know about five tec rec instructors and one course director. they have all been teaching tech courses through ANDI, TDI, IANTD. Now they have started teaching through PADI.

The next generation of tech divers is the concern.
Lets say you stat as a PADI open water diver today.
within a year and 100 dives you could be a PADI Tec Rec instructor
your thinking would be what PADI tells you to think, and the marketing of the tec rec program will be right in line with how they market other courses.

PADI is good at marketing so what can you expect to see.
A huge increase in the number of tech divers
Great training materials, with video, cd rom, posters charts tables etc etc.
A huge influx in the number of tech instructors
course fees dropping
and the whole DIR discution heated like we have never seen before. The poles here will be "do you dive PADI or DIR"

Just look what they did for Nitrox, they let the world know what we always new, now ever charter boat around offers nitrox. this is marketing, it is not that they suddenly realized that it was good. it was PADI divers asking for it because they just got their shinny new cert card.

Will the end result equal a level of training as good as TDI, IANTD, ANDI, GUE et al

ask yourself this?
Which recreational agency puts out a better open water diver
PADI, NAUI, SDI, SSI, YMCA, etc
Their are all roughly the same.

One good thing about a large increase in tech divers.
our cost will decrease like charters & insurance
statistics will be fromn a larger cross section
Mind you we will run out of He

JUST THROWING OUT SOME THOUGHTS

Originally posted by AquaTec
The next generation of tech divers is the concern.
Lets say you stat as a PADI open water diver today.
within a year and 100 dives you could be a PADI Tec Rec instructor
your thinking would be what PADI tells you to think, and the marketing of the tec rec program will be right in line with how they market other courses.

Nope. :nono:
See my previous post. Minimum 270 logged dives to be a DSAT TecRec Instructor, including a minimum 25 staged decompression dives deeper than 130ft.

Give PADI a chance. If you look at the requirements you'll see they are looking for experienced instructors, that shows that they are interested in quality instruction..... It looks like a solid class to me... the apprentice lets less experienced divers learn as well... It is deep air for now but its obvious where PADI is going.. to mix..

Does anyone know someone (or is someone) who has taken the class yet??

:grad:

"..Just look what they did for Nitrox, they let the world know what we always new, now ever charter boat around offers nitrox. this is marketing, it is not that they suddenly realized that it was good. it was PADI divers asking for it because they just got their shinny new cert card. "

PADI fought Nitrox tooth and nail to the bitter end.

JIM-
Your right, PADI fought nitrox but they now have a class for it (and a good one) I think that they may have seen the err in their ways and they will be on the forefront of widespread mixed gas diving... they are a large and experienced agency that will adapt to divers needs/desires... thats what they do. I think that their Technical classes will be great, lets also keep in mind it's not exactly PADI who is offering these classes its DSAT..

:crawl:

Originally posted by BIGJC
Your right, PADI fought nitrox but they now have a class for it (and a good one)
I have to disagree. Like some of PADI's other classes, they have an adequate one, not a good one. If they had a good one they'd be teaching you to dive standard mixes rather than so-called "best mix."

Roak

I would consider 32 and 36 to be standard mix which is what padi teaches. Best mix is when you pick the best custom mix for the depth, which is not what they focus on, they only touch on it.

Just wondering what you meant, maybe it's just the wording.

Chris

PS Been out to Aurora Res. lately?

My questions are : first: where are the PADI instructors going to be trained in Trimix? (IANTD, GUE,TDI?) If they are going to be trained by another agency, how does that transfer to PADI? Will they (PADI) use the other agency's protocol?

Second: Are they going to use standard mixes as Nitrox 32 & 36? If so, then I would not consider this good training.

Just my thoughts.

Robert:doctor:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom