PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learning to use dive tables, IMO, is an essential part of training. Computers are a nice convenience, but aren't essential to safe diving. I cannot see any dive training agency being irresponsible enough to drop the tables from their curriculum.

Learning to use dive tables, IMO, is an essential part of training.

Why? And I don't mean because tables are cheap or those sorts of arguments, but from a pedagogical standpoint, why is that education necessary?

Why? And I don't mean because tables are cheap or those sorts of arguments, but from a pedagogical standpoint, why is that education necessary?

From a pedagogical standpoint, its just the way he teaches. thats what pedagology is.....a teaching syle or theory. Maybe it doesnt jive with yours, but im sure its not worth you arguing about.

From a pedagogical standpoint, its just the way he teaches. thats what pedagology is.....a teaching syle or theory. Maybe it doesnt jive with yours, but im sure its not worth you arguing about.
Tom, are you suggesting that there is no reason for him teaching that way? Maybe you don't think in that manner, but a number of us do. It's great that he wants to teach tables, but we want to know "WHY?"

I noticed in your response to the reasons I gave for not teaching tables, you essentially stated "that's the way I do it" without any caveats as to why. That's fine, and there is no debating your actions, but we would like to know the raison d'etre or the impetus behind that style.

i definatly think the tables are of vital importance, if they dont know how to use a dive table then theres a good chance there not going to know what all the info is on the dive comp. i dont think there should be an entire day spent on the RDP's but like 2 hours should be sufficent depending on the size of the class.

i definatly think the tables are of vital importance, if they dont know how to use a dive table then theres a good chance there not going to know what all the info is on the dive comp. i dont think there should be an entire day spent on the RDP's but like 2 hours should be sufficent depending on the size of the class.

This is a perspective I can't wrap my head around.

I can't read NGS data tables, but I know how to use Google Maps.

They really have nothing to do with one another.

What information on a dive computer would they not know how to read:

NDL?
Depth?
Time?
Ascent Rate?
SI?

What information is unintelligible without a background on tables first?

I haven't read all this thread and I don't intend to plough through 50-odd pages (some of them very odd!). I teach and will continue to teach the tables, whether PADI's or another brand really doesn't matter. But mainly I teach them during a Nitrox course, not an Open Water course. I find many Open Water students are not receptive of anything that requires them to think, indoctrinated as they have been that learning to dive is instant gratification. By the time they get through to Nitrox they've re-thought that somewhat, and it's at that stage I like to teach them the basics of decompression theory, with dive tables providing a simple demonstration. Most students I teach nitrox to I have never seen before, operating as I do in a resort environment, and it is noteworthy that rarely do I come across a diver with ANY understanding of compression/decompression theory. Most by then trust absolutely in their dive computers, with not the slightest comprehension of what's going on inside the computer (or indeed their bodies). Most equally have no idea of the standard assumptions in the algorithm programmed into the computer, such as standard ascent rates, deepest dive first, etc. If they know of any of them they don't have any understanding as to why.

It seems to me that most teaching these days, and I'm not just thinking of diving here, is so that the student will learn and remember, not understand. Yet learning without understanding produces a very poorly prepared and equipped student, who is likely either to forget what he has learned or, far more seriously, to mis-remember it and not have any means of checking that his memory is correct. PADI claim to be educationalists first and foremost, yet to my mind they don't have a clue of how to teach people to understand and remember. It's all about instant gratification and instant payment.

So I will continue to use dive tables, not as an end in themselves but as a means to the end of understanding. AFTER a student has understood the tables I will spend time with whatever computer he may have, showing him how the various controls work and what the various displays mean. I'll also try to explain how different computers vary in their controls, display and conservatism. But all of this explanation is based on the understanding of the underlying theory that the tables have enabled.

But all of this explanation is based on the understanding of the underlying theory that the tables have enabled.

I guess Powell's book just isn't as good as I've been told.

I teach all my OW students how too use the RDP and the ERDP/mls and have them use dive computers for OW training. It cost me a few extra bucks but, I have the same computer that I have my students use and by the time we are done I am very comfortable in saying my students are very competent using all three, one thing from my OW course was I was the only one out of four of us that had a real understanding of the RDP, the Instructor even had me explaining too the others as he had still used the wheel and didn't hav a solid understanding as well.
The Instructor should know it inside and out so he or she can teach that too the students. I leave for Bonaire tomorrow, I have my dive computer packed as well as a RDP I still use it quite a bit..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom