PADI Rescue Diver question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You refer to discussions on scubaboard as the way to validate the standards of PADI. (etc.)

As i just noted in an edit, my response was reflexively based on the exchanges we had had in two other threads, and I did not realize the post to which I responded was in a different thread. In the context of this thread, it is off topic and makes no sense.

I was trained to administer O2 and about the differnt kinds of tanks/regs/masks as part of EFR/Rescue, I can't see how anyone could not be taught it as part of the training as you are required to administer it... I just didn't get the PADI O2 provider cert unless I paid for the book and pic.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

As some have stated it is NOT a prereq for the course; HOWEVER, local law may require it. I would find out if it is their arbitrary requirement or put on them by some other agency. If it's from them, you might want to consider going elsewhere. I'm personally not a fan of dive shops adding their own requirements above and beyond those set by PADI and/or local regulations.

That is a really good point about local law. When we travel to other countries around the world, our standards for dive certification may simply not apply. So far, in this country we only have a few actual laws concerning scuba diving, but who knows what they have elsewhere. Requiring a person to be trained in oxygen adminstration is definitely not required by USA law, but as you say, what about local laws? (in other countries) Good point.

Yes, good point. I believe the dives that used to be required for Nitrox course are still required in some country. Don't know if it is because of local law or not. I would assume it is not simply PADI's doing. LeonPr makes a good point that the 02 course should (perhaps) be a requirement for Rescue. But we've talked a lot about standards and what they should be, etc. Back to square one--it's not required now, so a shop shouldn't require it.

They shouldn't, however they can if they want to. PADI can if they want to reprimand or not. And as far as the oxygen course, for simple DCS, in the vast majority of uses a NRB mask should be used, however a lot of general transport agencies don't let their EMT's and paramedics use NRB's due to the possibility of operator error killing the patient. And the biggest thing missing in O2 courses, suctioning. (please excuse the jargon) Look into an ER and you will see cardiac patients, with high T-waves on a N/C simply because the pulse ox is at 99%. SPO2 is a relative measurement and 100% does not indicate saturation and myocardium during the time is muscle phase is killed with a patient on a N/C. With DCS time is also muscle. Switch them to a NRB for 10 minutes and a lot time they have pain reductions. Sorry for the technical rambling. My point is that even the oxygen courses they sell you still don't give you the basics.

They shouldn't, however they can if they want to. PADI can if they want to reprimand or not. And as far as the oxygen course, for simple DCS, in the vast majority of uses a NRB mask should be used, however a lot of general transport agencies don't let their EMT's and paramedics use NRB's due to the possibility of operator error killing the patient. And the biggest thing missing in O2 courses, suctioning. (please excuse the jargon) Look into an ER and you will see cardiac patients, with high T-waves on a N/C simply because the pulse ox is at 99%. SPO2 is a relative measurement and 100% does not indicate saturation and myocardium during the time is muscle phase is killed with a patient on a N/C. With DCS time is also muscle. Switch them to a NRB for 10 minutes and a lot time they have pain reductions. Sorry for the technical rambling. My point is that even the oxygen courses they sell you still don't give you the basics.

So you disagree with the use of a nasal canula for patients with hyperkalemia? If peaked T-waves have any significance (most often, they do not) then an elevated potassium is about the worst possibility. And tissue hypoxia is not a factor in hyperkalemia.

Perhaps you meant elevated S-T segments, which is indicative of infarct? A NRB is not necessary, or even helpful, for most of these patients either, unless they have some respiratory issue that is causing hypoxemia.

I don't mind if you indulge in technical ramblings, but try to make them accurate. :)

The real question is would you want to be rescued by someone who knew how to administer oxygen or not?

"IF" I needed to be rescued; do you really think I would give a rats ### just who the hell drug me out of harms way??? Kidding somewhat but courses that provide you with any type of safety regardless the order in which its taken is a positive for any diver...

lee

So you disagree with the use of a nasal canula for patients with hyperkalemia? If peaked T-waves have any significance (most often, they do not) then an elevated potassium is about the worst possibility. And tissue hypoxia is not a factor in hyperkalemia.

Perhaps you meant elevated S-T segments, which is indicative of infarct? A NRB is not necessary, or even helpful, for most of these patients either, unless they have some respiratory issue that is causing hypoxemia.

I don't mind if you indulge in technical ramblings, but try to make them accurate. :)

s-t I stand corrected on that, however, it a pulse oximeter does not show the oxygen benefit that a patient can get in the early stages when the ....ahem S-T segment is high. The myocardium is starving for oxygen, that part is hard to dispute, especially about giving oxygen to a cardiac patient in high doses in the first two hours.

That is a really good point about local law. When we travel to other countries around the world, our standards for dive certification may simply not apply. So far, in this country we only have a few actual laws concerning scuba diving, but who knows what they have elsewhere. Requiring a person to be trained in oxygen adminstration is definitely not required by USA law, but as you say, what about local laws? (in other countries) Good point.
So true, in Australia you need to be a pro med to legally administer oxy, the course isn't available- politics here are crazy, like they are there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom