Padi Rescue Certified...SDI OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not even mention the eRDPml until after the tables are taught, and the quiz is over. Then I show them one and let them work a few problems with it.

[/color]Please quote the standard that requires SDI Instructors to teach the dive tables (not the history of tables and decompression). If what you're saying is true, there are some SDI Instructors that are breaking that standard.
Well, as part of the SDI manual and covered in dive planning, why are they not teaching it? Ask them.

This quote comes straight from the SDI website.

"Who is SDI?

SDI was created in 1999 and grew out of the success of our sister company TDI, which specializes in the more advanced disciplines of dive training."

Exactly. Soooo, where does that lead you to think that SDI has a goal of sending everyone tech? That is how SDI originated...

I got that information from an SDI Instructor, whom I would trust a lot more than someone online. I would also consider 15' at depth.
That's also nice. Perhaps they should show you teh instructor manual for Deep certification. You do not shoot a line for that.
You Do shoot a line on the Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures course. But, again, not what was stated earlier. And I didn't ask you to trust someone online. I do ask that you give true facts.

OP. At the end of the day, I don't see any reason to repeat training. Buy a manual and check it out, see what may be different. You have trained with one agency and if you are a competent confident diver, don't waste your money and time repeating a course. You may try further courses from different agencies to see which one suits you best. The certifications are good from one to another. Is That actually an answer for what you originally asked?

That's not exactly true. Some PADI instructors don't spend much time on tables is a more accurate statement.
There are a number of questions about how to work out dive table problems on the PADI quizzes and exam. For an Instructor to assess the knowledge of the student, the dive tables need to be addressed in some fashion. The option that won't break down and fits in the pocket of a BCD is the RDP. That plus the fact that it's the least expensive option makes it very viable.

Well, as part of the SDI manual and covered in dive planning, why are they not teaching it? Ask them.
As I asked previously, please quote the standard that requires SDI Instructors to teach the dive tables (not the history of tables and decompression). It's your organization and quality assurance should be in place. If an Instructor, from any agency, is breaking standards, s/he needs to be brought to task. The best way to do that is for that situation to be brought to light by the membership.

Exactly. Soooo, where does that lead you to think that SDI has a goal of sending everyone tech? That is how SDI originated.
TDI Instructors need to bring their own divers up to speed, since other agencies started their own tec programs. A lot of students at that level will stay with the Instructor/facility they feel comfortable with, when they get to a certain level.

Look, back when TDI started, the mainline agencies weren't teaching tec diving. One of the reasons SDI got started, was those agencies started teaching their own tec courses and that adversely affected TDI numbers.

Perhaps they should show you teh instructor manual for Deep certification. I didn't ask you to trust someone online. I do ask that you give true facts.
I don't have anything driving me to see the SDI Deep Instructor standards. I would have thought it would be prudent for that information to be in the Deep manual, so the student knows what is expected of them.

OP. The certifications are good from one to another.
Now you've gone over the edge. There is equivalency required for classes to count as applicable toward other agencies. The fact that SDI does only 2 dives is not an equivalent standard, without additional dives being done. You're right though, facts do need to be presented.

There are a number of questions about how to work out dive table problems on the PADI quizzes and exam. For an Instructor to assess the knowledge of the student, the dive tables need to be addressed in some fashion. The option that won't break down and fits in the pocket of a BCD is the RDP. That plus the fact that it's the least expensive option makes it very viable.

I completely agree. I show my students the eRDP and go through a quick problem, but I don't push the purchase of one.

PADI doesn't spend much time on tables now that they have the eRDP calculator (or eRDP ML - multilevel). Conceptually the same as tables but lacking the touchy-feely of actually using tables. Oh, and no way to get RNT directly. No real need, I suppose, but it is on the OW exam.

FWIW, I like my NAUI tables better. The information is all on one side. No flipping back and forth.

PADI catches up with tables in the Nitrox course. This program is all about tables.
Richard
I do tables (yes, the old blue and white flip back and forth RDP) left, right, up and down with my students. They get it down pat in an hour. No student fails one question on a final exam related to Tables (over my dead body). I don't know where you get the idea that PADI doesn't spend much time on tables. For me it's the basis of dive planning. I don't know what you mean about PADI catching up on the Nitrox course. Yes, there are a stack load of tables but the course is about PRESSURE, TOXICITY AND NARCOSIS.

The eRDP is an evolution as it's name suggests. Has big drawbacks though. You can't take it on a dive in your BCD pocket (if your computer packs up a watch with a bezel indicating when you started the dive, a good old fashioned depth gauge and the RDP can allow you to continue the dive and not have to abort staight away. It's also like any other calculator. Kids are getting a bad deal. You ask them what 70 plus 30 adds up to and they need a calculator.....

To go back to the OP, I don't see any point at all in being a PADI Rescue Diver and now doing an OW course with any other agency.

However you have some excellent alternatives for your further education.

You could go on to Master Scuba Diver. You could look at doing some DAN courses (you would be a "better" RD). If you haven't done Nitrox, I highly recommend it.

I'm Padi Rescue certified and was wondering is it worth it to get certifications in other organizations like SDI? I was wondering if going to another Agency would I learn something new than what was covered in PADI?

Actually, I did find one agency that was well worth repeating training with and I learned a lot more than I expected. My diving limits were shortened from my previous certfications. Most of my dive buddies didn't get why I would retake a class and shorten my dives but they did respect my new limits and appreciated the change because eventually my new diving skills took me to places and let me solve problems underwater that made me say "Aha! That's why I took the training."

My experience was with Cave diving and I already had c-cards and gear. I went for a dive with a visiting diver that we met in the parking lot and my buddy. Since this was our first dive together we planned an easy short dive. I was blown away in the first 2 minutes when we were doing Pre dive checks and air share drills. I asked him how many cave dives he had done. He had only done a handfull since training. My buddy and I had done over 60 cave dives and I was already a working Open water Instructor with over 500 dives(90% of those were non-teaching). Honestly, I felt like I was back in my very first pool session and this diver was teaching the class. The rest of the dive was even more impressive. I was hooked and wanted to dive just like that.

A month later, I signed up for GUE Cave 1. I had seen the classes and read plenty about them on the Internet but it wasn't until I hoped in the water with a GUE diver that it made an impact.

After the second day of training, I felt like I could quit the course because the basics that I learned had already changed my diving to match what I saw the other GUE diver doing. Everything after Day 2 was a bonus and just further reinforcement of the basics.

I hope that helps answer your question. In my experience, the training agency did make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom