Padi Rescue Certified...SDI OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akeezy04

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm Padi Rescue certified and was wondering is it worth it to get certifications in other organizations like SDI? I was wondering if going to another Agency would I learn something new than what was covered in PADI?

I think the main difference in PADI and SDI Open Water certs is that SDI doesn't teach the dive tables; they teach reliance on dive computers instead. Also, SDI offers a Solo Diver course, and (just a guess) THAT ain't gonna happen at PADI for a while........

There's nothing wrong with taking courses with instructors from multiple agencies, but there's no need to retake courses because you won't likely learn anything new just because it's a different agency.

I had all my training up to Rescue and several specialties by PADI. This year I got hooked up with a SDI shop and man what a difference. I think the SDI curriculim blows PADI away. Don't retake the classes but if you have the chance and teh monwy, take some SDI specialties and get their Advanced Diver development program. Or if you would rather, take deep, night and Adv Nav SDI specialties. If you have 50 dives you can get the Master diver rating (you will need a total of 5 specialties but you must have the 3 I listed. If you don't have 50 dives you can get their Advanced Diver Program rating ( still need those 3 listed plus 2 more specialties). It's much more comprehensive than PADI...If you have questions give Off The Wall Scuba a call. They teach SDI.

Steve

SDI seems to want people to move toward TDI as quickly as they can. A case in point is their Deep Specialty, which is 2 dives, versus 4 with PADI. SDI allows the Deep Specialty immediately after the OW course and they require some sort of redundant air source for the course. The most interesting part is their requirement to blow a bag, at depth. That can be task loading IMO, for a diver with fewer than 5 dives.

For an agency to move people toward Tec diving on one hand, while not teaching tables on the other, also seems to be conflicting.

I think the main difference in PADI and SDI Open Water certs is that SDI doesn't teach the dive tables; they teach reliance on dive computers instead. Also, SDI offers a Solo Diver course, and (just a guess) THAT ain't gonna happen at PADI for a while........

Okay. NOT true. SDI teaches tables. We just also mandate the use of computers also.

SDI seems to want people to move toward TDI as quickly as they can. A case in point is their Deep Specialty, which is 2 dives, versus 4 with PADI. SDI allows the Deep Specialty immediately after the OW course and they require some sort of redundant air source for the course. The most interesting part is their requirement to blow a bag, at depth. That can be task loading IMO, for a diver with fewer than 5 dives.

For an agency to move people toward Tec diving on one hand, while not teaching tables on the other, also seems to be conflicting.

See the above response. I am an SDI instructor, and moving toward TDI is neither taught nor pushed. Where do you get that?

And you blow a bag at 5 meters on TDI advanced nitrox and deco procedures....

Okay. NOT true. SDI teaches tables. We just also mandate the use of computers also.
Please quote the standard that requires SDI Instructors to teach the dive tables (not the history of tables and decompression). If what you're saying is true, there are some SDI Instructors that are breaking that standard.

I am an SDI instructor, and moving toward TDI is neither taught nor pushed. Where do you get that?
This quote comes straight from the SDI website.

"Who is SDI?

SDI was created in 1999 and grew out of the success of our sister company TDI, which specializes in the more advanced disciplines of dive training."

And you blow a bag at 5 meters on TDI advanced nitrox and deco procedures....
I got that information from an SDI Instructor, whom I would trust a lot more than someone online. I would also consider 15' at depth.

PADI doesn't spend much time on tables now that they have the eRDP calculator (or eRDP ML - multilevel). Conceptually the same as tables but lacking the touchy-feely of actually using tables. Oh, and no way to get RNT directly. No real need, I suppose, but it is on the OW exam.

FWIW, I like my NAUI tables better. The information is all on one side. No flipping back and forth.

PADI catches up with tables in the Nitrox course. This program is all about tables.

Were I younger, I would be signed up for that Solo Diver course.

Richard

PADI doesn't spend much time on tables now that they have the eRDP calculator (or eRDP ML - multilevel).

That's not exactly true. Some PADI instructors don't spend much time on tables is a more accurate statement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom