PADI OW tread/float test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did swim around for half of this test.

Where does it say that? The standards for the course do NOT mention "tread," it is called "swim/float".
It could be some LDS outlining their course. They could be as slack as me when it comes to PADI's exact wording. I've read stuff online from shops that I thought were not quite right.

It could be some LDS outlining their course. They could be as slack as me when it comes to PADI's exact wording. I've read stuff online from shops that I thought were not quite right.
The OP's post explicitly says it was on the PADI website.

0E50E080-5568-49E8-AAA0-53BBD7F06E34.png Here’s the actual page from the manual they say swim/float but no swim aids ? Take it for what you want.

Kind of off topic to the current discussion, but I found the 10 minute "don't drown" part to be EXTREMELY difficult. The main reason is because I did it immediately after the swim, which really gassed me, and because I am extremely negatively buoyant probably due to my build, where I am heavy with a lot of muscle but not much fat, so I am a sinker. Other people were having a conversation while sitting there treading and I was struggling to keep my head above water. There was a big clock there too and seeing it right in my face didn't help matters. Once I was finished, I was so tired and wasn't back to "normal" breathing for a good 30 or so minutes.

I posted a thread on here about it back when I did it because I was very nervous about it, and it ended up being very difficult for me like I wasn't hoping it would.

From the current PADI IM on water skills for DM:

"Exercise 2: 15-minute Tread

Tread water, drown-proof, bob or float using no aids...."

I never paid close enough attention to realize the difference (beyond time and hands above water) for DM vs. OW.

From the current PADI IM on water skills for DM:

"Exercise 2: 15-minute Tread

Tread water, drown-proof, bob or float using no aids...."

I never paid close enough attention to realize the difference (beyond time and hands above water) for DM vs. OW.
Neither did I. I guess you're just as slack as me on the Standards. Shame on you!
Anyone have input on why apparently the description for the "float" is more precise for the DM course vs. the OW course? You'd think maybe it would be the other way around?

--purbeast's post is an example of me at times questioning what the objective on these tests really is. "Heavy...a lot of muscle....not much fat....a sinker". Seems to me purbeast is in pretty good shape. Yet like me, it was exhausting doing the float. What does that mean? People that are in good shape but are very negatively buoyant are less "comfortable" in water than a big couch potato that can lie there motionless?
My wife can hover in a pool vertically with almost no movement of limbs. She is astonished when observing how my legs sink like stones. People have asked her how deep the pool was because they thought she was standing on the bottom in the deep end.
Perhaps the purpose of the float and swim tests is to insure that you don't drown if you fall off a boat with just a bathing suit on--or that you jump in with your air turned off and don't have the presence of mind to survive--perhaps by dropping your weights. I suppose doing a float and swim test should be required for anyone doing anything on a boat--fishing charter, etc.?
Or, do the tests in fact have a real relationship to what you do on scuba?

Neither did I. I guess you're just as slack as me on the Standards. Shame on you!
Anyone have input on why apparently the description for the "float" is more precise for the DM course vs. the OW course? You'd think maybe it would be the other way around?

--purbeast's post is an example of me at times questioning what the objective on these tests really is. "Heavy...a lot of muscle....not much fat....a sinker". Seems to me purbeast is in pretty good shape. Yet like me, it was exhausting doing the float. What does that mean? People that are in good shape but are very negatively buoyant are less "comfortable" in water than a big couch potato that can lie there motionless?
My wife can hover in a pool vertically with almost no movement of limbs. She is astonished when observing how my legs sink like stones. People have asked her how deep the pool was because they thought she was standing on the bottom in the deep end.
Perhaps the purpose of the float and swim tests is to insure that you don't drown if you fall off a boat with just a bathing suit on--or that you jump in with your air turned off and don't have the presence of mind to survive--perhaps by dropping your weights. I suppose doing a float and swim test should be required for anyone doing anything on a boat--fishing charter, etc.?
Or, do the tests in fact have a real relationship to what you do on scuba?
The PADI Instructor’s Guide provides brief explanation of intent:

Waterskills Assessment
Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate
that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/
float without using any swim aids.
At some point before certification, have students complete
a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/
yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.

My feeling is that there is a bit of overthinking keeping this thread going. It’s pretty similar to the BSA swimmers test I did every year at the start of summer camp, so I rarely even give it a second thought.

BSA:

Swimmers pass this test: Jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth. Level off and swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be completed in one swim without stops and must include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.

Beginners pass this test: Jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth, level off, and swim 25 feet on the surface. Stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, and return to the starting place.

Anyone who has not completed either the beginner or swimmer tests is classified as a nonswimmer.

Back
Top Bottom