PADI OW tread/float test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgdg

New
Reaction score
Are we allowed to wear fins, mask, and snorkel during the 10 minute treading test? The padi website says it's a tread test but some posts on this forum mention floating. Is that the same test? Can I wear a wetsuit during this part of the test?

Tread test. No fins masks etc. If conditions warrant it you can wear a wetsuit but will be weighted to be neutral

Swim test is 200m/yds continuous surface swim without fins mask or snorkel (swim goggles may be used) OR you can do a 300m/yd swim With fins mask and snorkel.

The Written standard is as follows:

Waterskills Assessment

Have student divers demonstrate that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids.

Have students complete a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.

If conditions warrant, students may wear an exposure suit as long as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy

As DD has stated it is a 2 part test.

There is the "swim" part where you have to swim the relevant distance (200m without accessories or 300 with) and then the float. The float is to be done without accessories but the only requirement is basically not drown for 10 mins and can be achieved by a lot of different methods such as drownproofing, swimming, treading water, floating etc.

There have been a number of threads on the subject before if you want to search for specific methods.

For the tread, the simple rule is bathing suit only (swim goggles maybe?). Can't touch pool sides or bottom. "Drown-proofing" is allowed (you can submerge your head allowing your full lungs to float you thus resting your arms & legs). If an instructor says you can't do this, they are wrong. You can float (if your body buoyancy allows it) with no limb movement, or you can tread like a maniac for 10 minutes. Drowning not allowed.

For the tread, the simple rule is bathing suit only
No. This is simply incorrect. The correct statement taken from the Instructor manual is in post #3

As someone who has the title Divemaster under their name, and with the amount of dives you display, newer divers misconstrue that the advice you give is fact - whereas it's patiently incorrect.

The Water Skills assessment has a real purpose. And I quote (From the PADI Guide to Teaching)

The overall objective of the 10 minute swim/float and continuous swim is for you, the instructor, to see that student divers have reasonable swimming ability.

While drown proofing might be an acceptable method to stay afloat and might work in the pool. To me it doesn't show comfort. after all on OW dive my students will be rolling off a boat into the ocean that may be choppy - so I want to be comfortable that they have reasonable ability. I would rather students lie back and float and gently scull as that's what the'd be doing when they're in their BCD's

It also goes on to say
If conditions warrant, student divers may wear an exposure suit as long as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy.

No. This is simply incorrect. The correct statement taken from the Instructor manual is in post #3

As someone who has the title Divemaster under their name, and with the amount of dives you display, newer divers misconstrue that the advice you give is fact - whereas it's patiently incorrect.

The Water Skills assessment has a real purpose. And I quote (From the PADI Guide to Teaching)

The overall objective of the 10 minute swim/float and continuous swim is for you, the instructor, to see that student divers have reasonable swimming ability.

While drown proofing might be an acceptable method to stay afloat and might work in the pool. To me it doesn't show comfort. after all on OW dive my students will be rolling off a boat into the ocean that may be choppy - so I want to be comfortable that they have reasonable ability. I would rather students lie back and float and gently scull as that's what the'd be doing when they're in their BCD's

It also goes on to say
If conditions warrant, student divers may wear an exposure suit as long as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy.
Hmmmm....... I don't know that I would apply a reading of "swim/float" narrow enough say that drown proofing is not the same as a float. (you are saying that is incorrect, right?)
I don't necessarily disagree with your thought process, but as regards application of a PADI standard I would personally want to contact them for clarification if that was an issue.

I also think that since drown proofing is taught by US Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard, that it is certainly a valid in-water survival technique outside of a pool.

How you float when in your BCD is of course an entirely different conversation, not sure why you included that in your thoughts on the Waterskills Assessment.

It also goes on to say
OK. I forgot the part about exposure suits being allowed as long as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy. My bad. I SURE could have used something to make me neutrally buoyant in the pool for the OW tread, and especially for the DM hands out thing. WISH my instructor had mentioned drown-proofing. My legs are like stones, as I can barely float on my back in SALT water (but I can). Guess I forgot the neutral buoyant exposure suit thing because I never saw it done in any of the classes I assisted on. But, I admit, I don't know the exact wording on every standard.
I agree with JackD that you are adding your own thoughts on a couple of points.
--I can float (without limb motion) OK in choppy salt water. Can't at all in fresh water. Fresh water is where the test is usually done (at least in these parts).
--It's nice that you'd like to see students lie back and gently scull like what they'd be doing with their BC on (and somewhat inflated, I assume). What does that have to do with the float test? Why add what YOU would like to see?
I know you said that the overall objective is for you the instructor to see that the student has reasonable ability, etc. That's a non-specific phrase, as instructors may have different ideas as to what reasonable is. I'm not a PADI basher, but sometimes things can be a bit vague. Are you saying drown-proofing is NOT allowed? Again, I'm slack on my exact Standards, but will be very surprised if you can quote me something that says that. Experienced instructors on SB have said that they have contacted PADI and found that drown-proofing is perfectly "legal".
If drown proofing in a pool is allowed by PADI and you don't permit it because it doesn't show you the student has reasonable ability, then at the least there is a conflict--at worst, you are violating a standard. You could also say that completing the 200 yard/metre swim can't be done using doggie paddle. PADI says "any stroke" (is dog paddle a stroke?). I got a "5" on the DM 15 min. tread with last 2 mins. hands out using drown proofing. Then assisted a different instructor on an OW course who said she forbade it.
I have no Instructor's Manual.
Would appreciate if someone would show us the exact wording as to what you can and can't do on the OW Float and Swim tests.

Have student divers demonstrate that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids.

I'm going to change the way I do things. Reading this standard I'll just have everyone swim 200 yards and take at least 10 minutes. It does say swim. :wink:

The intent is to not drown for 10 minutes. How the student does that is up the them. Float, bob, egg beater, deadman float.... just don't drown!
Lets not complicate it too much.

I have no Instructor's Manual.
If your membership is current you can download the Instructor’s Manual, and having it is a PADI requirement for DMs. Guide To Teaching requires a purchase, although the OW portion might still be available for member download from the OW 2.0 rollout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom