PADI OW and BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I’m having a philosophical discussion with a friend about BPW and training.
I know that other agencies allow BPW to be used during OW training.

Is there some PADI rules that does not allowed a BPW to be used while teaching OW?

Bonus points is someone can also speak as to the applicability of BPW for HSA and OW course.

You can use a bp/w in an OW course with a PADI as well as a NAUI instructor. Standards do not state what type of BCD is to be used in the basic or advanced open water course.

Not sure what HSA has to say.

No such rules. Some PADI instructors do teach OW in a BP/W. Luke Inman of Cortez Expeditions is a CD who does.

I don't think there is any hard rule about using a BP/W for people with disabilities. That's a call the instructor needs to make.

My son setting up his gear in his PADI JOW class 2 months ago.
IMG_20201223_100808056_HDR.jpg

This is what PADI requires for equipment. You must have a BCD with a low-pressure inflator. That's it. They do not require or disallow any specific type of BCD. Any instructor telling you otherwise is either lying or ignorant. Either way you wouldn't want to train with them.

upload_2021-3-4_9-45-41.png

This question came up when I was a new instructor so I called PADI and asked for clarification. A BPW is authorized. It just has to be safe and serviceable, the same as any equipment. Just for fun I asked if a horse collar could be used, and again, I was told yes, as long as it is in good working condition. If your 1956 horse collar failed because it was dry rotted you would be in violation of standards because the equipment was not safe and serviceable, not because it was a horse collar.
If you refer to JimBlay's post, standard #3: The horse collar is actually specified as the BCD and separate backpack.

Edit to add:
I teach in BPW, as does @Jim Lapenta, who fees so strongly it is the right thing to do he wrote a book about it.

BP/W is fine. Ask them about Long Hose and Primary Donate and then you start to get all kinds of ruffled feathers.

I did an aow two years ago, they made no issues of the bpw setup with longhose, but did ask me to keep a snorkel with me at all times. I got around that one by just putting one of those foldable thingies in my drysuit pocket.

BP/W is fine. Ask them about Long Hose and Primary Donate and then you start to get all kinds of ruffled feathers.

I also asked that question and PADI is 100% OK with long hose and primary donate. Not a single feather was ruffled.
The biggest concern is that you have enough experience with the equipment configuration you teach. Same goes for side mount.

I can see this reaction if you asked them 20 years ago but I also remember when PADI was 100% against nitrox and refused to endorse its use, let alone offer a course.

Back
Top Bottom