PADI or SSI to go PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfevg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm and AOWD from PADI and Nitrox certified from IANTD. Have several dozen logged dives. My whish is to continue my education towards and instructors level.
In Israel, currently the most popular track is of SSI. The clubs talk about Dive Con training. A smaller amount of clubs talk about PADI Dive Master.
SSI clubs claim that DiveCon is MORE that Padi's DM and that with this level you can even leade INTRO's.
Could someone please make some order for me about SSI's track and PADI's track.

In Israel, currently the most popular track is of SSI.

If SSI is the most often found "sign on the door" where you want to work.... that is the obvious choice to make.

Let's say I dont know which country I plan working in...

Well, you don't know where you want to work. PADI is the most widespread organisation. So if you do PADI, then odds are wherever you wind up will have a PADI shop. If not it's fairly easy to crossover from PADI to most of the other big training agencies if need be. Just playing the percentages

So, I should do Padi DM, than Padi Open Water instructor.... this combination will allow me to train all of the basic course (owd, aowd) and give intro dives?

PADI is the most widespread organisation. So if you do PADI, then odds are wherever you wind up will have a PADI shop.

This is true even in Europe where SSI and NAUI are big. Even in NAUI dominated areas PADI is still there.

If not it's fairly easy to crossover from PADI to most of the other big training agencies if need be. Just playing the percentages

Maybe this link on the SSI page will help you: SSI Scuba Schools International: SSI - Serious Diving, Serious Fun

So once you are a PADI OWSI crossing over is very straight forward.

Hope that helps.

My whish is to continue my education towards and instructors level. In Israel, currently the most popular track is of SSI. The clubs talk about Dive Con training. A smaller amount of clubs talk about PADI Dive Master. SSI clubs claim that DiveCon is MORE that Padi's DM and that with this level you can even leade INTRO's.
Tortuga68:
Well, you don't know where you want to work. PADI is the most widespread organisation. So if you do PADI, then odds are wherever you wind up will have a PADI shop. ... Just playing the percentages
A reasonable recommendation. One question to consider - if you will be pursuing an agency-specific course of training to the Instructor level in Israel, are the training opportunities equivalent there - do you have good options in both the SSI system and the PADI system? If so, then Tortuga's recommendation is worth serious consideration. But, if the availability of Instructor courses heavily favors the SSI route, you may want to pursue that path.

In your OP, you indicate an intention to go to the Instructor level, but also make reference to the opportunities available BEFORE the Instructor level. In the SSI system, it appears (from the SSI website) that Dive Cons can teach the Try Scuba Diving (pool) course, whereas, in the PADI system, a DM cannot independently teach Discover Scuba Diving. Rather, an AI level of certification is required. A small difference, but it may be important to your particular direction.

Ultimately, if what you want to do is teach Open Water Scuba courses, and beyond, then the goal should be Instructor-level credentials, and the small agency-specific differences in entry-level professional opportunities are not that important.

Last edited:
So, I should do Padi DM, than Padi Open Water instructor.... this combination will allow me to train all of the basic course (owd, aowd) and give intro dives?

That's the path I'm going down after asking similar questions of my Instructor friends - although I'm fairly clear that I plan to work in Asia, so YMMV as per the above

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom