PADI getting sued over Insurance Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone can track back to the start of PADI offering or how the requiring of an insurance program began you may well find ties to PADI on the insurance broker/agency selling end. Very common in groups to find a former owner or board member gets to brain storming and decides to offer group insurance to members, in this case dive shops. This way the association gets their fee and a former owner/board member gets commissions also as the broker. Neat tidy deal, yes they often offer a good fully legal insurance program at often a very fair cost. What is not known is if it is the best coverage at the best price or one that offers the most/best revenue for the association? They sometimes do this so that someone at a short arm’s length from the association can have a nice living. I own a printing firm and saw this first hand, our former President did just this, all promising huge discounts and rebates for insurance that would cover all us better. What happened is the rebates had so many restrictions and overhead was sky high it imploded, all after he took a huge slice of money off the top.

Legal stuff - The author hereby grants use of all of the words from this email or web post for use by any person or company or entity for any legal purpose. The statements contained in this email/website including the names and representations are based on the author's personal experience. The author means no malice or harm towards any company or anyone including PADI, its officers, employees, or clients. The intent is to relate the author's personal observations, in the spirit of the United States first amendment to its constitution. The information is presented "as is" and without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, including (but not limited to) warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. While the information provided is believed by the author to be accurate, it may include errors or inaccuracies.

Wow man this is pretty bad! I didnt need insurance because i was teaching in Thailand but DAN seems the best one out there! And now all these comments - who shall i go with next time then ?

I think the DAN insurance is not for liability. This discussion has to do with liability insurance, specifically for dive shops/resorts. I don't think instructor/divemaster liability insurance is included, but it may be.

Wow man this is pretty bad! I didnt need insurance because i was teaching in Thailand but DAN seems the best one out there! And now all these comments - who shall i go with next time then ?

I think the DAN insurance is not for liability. This discussion has to do with liability insurance, specifically for dive shops/resorts. I don't think instructor/divemaster liability insurance is included, but it may be.

In Europe DAN liability insurance is available for instructors and DM's.

Don't be too quick to make a judgment about the intent of his post. When he first joined SB, he made a whole bunch of quick posts with the intention of telling people to go to his web site and post stories there. He quickly learned that pimping for other web sites is not allowed, although it is allowed to have a link in a signature line or your user name.

If you look through his posting history, you will find that this was one of about 10 posts made in 10 different threads in about 10 minutes. None of those posts provide any substantive assistance to the threads. He clearly could not have done more than skim the first post of each. He could easily have been mistaken about the content of this thread, as Rick at first suspected.

I hope he will come on and explain whether he is trying to assist in quality discussion or just shove his URL in everyone's faces.

If it is the latter, I hope he will understand that he may not be helping his cause. I think people will be more attracted to a site if they associate it with quality content than with brief sentences that are barely on topic, if at all.

I was curious about the progress of this matter and decided that since I had an account with the federal court's system, I would check on it.

There is no record of any lawsuit in the federal court system in which both "Kauai" and "Padi" appear in the parties' names. I also did some permutations on the names identified in the complaint and found nothing on file.

I don't know what you need to do to search but I've seen the paperwork and talked to both the principal and his counsel.

Could it possibly have been settled? With of course a we will not talk about it clause

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom