Padi Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All this discussion about how great BSAC is needs to be put in perspective: it does not exist in the United States, nor Australia, according to their website. One dive center in Canada, two in the Caribbean, one in Belize.

All this discussion about how great BSAC is needs to be put in perspective: it does not exist in the United States, nor Australia, according to their website. One dive center in Canada, two in the Caribbean, one in Belize.
There are 4 BSAC clubs in Australia.

But you're right BSAC isn't in competition with PADI, we go diving.

There are 4 BSAC clubs in Australia.

But you're right BSAC isn't in competition with PADI, we go diving.
Who is talking about competition? You, not me.
I'd love to be part of a BSAC club, but I'm not going to move out of the US to do it.
Sorry for the error on Australia. I tried using the BSAC website to get some locations, but I guess it was inept.
I tried again: no clubs in North or South America, Africa, Japan, South Korea, or the Philippines. One each in Thailand and Bermuda. How am I doing?

Who is talking about competition? You, not me.
I'd love to be part of a BSAC club, but I'm not going to move out of the US to do it.
Sorry for the error on Australia. I tried using the BSAC website to get some locations, but I guess it was inept.
I tried again: no clubs in North or South America, Africa, Japan, South Korea, or the Philippines. One each in Thailand and Bermuda. How am I doing?
The BSAC 'Find It' tool will look for Clubs (Branches) or Centres (Schools). BSAC Korea, BSAC Japan and BSAC Thailand are franchises.

Overseas Centres and Resorts were conceived to enable UK members to dive and train on holiday. Overseas Branches are for ex-pats. Only the franchises sell to the local population.

Unfortunately, we don't have a presents in the US, but you could always join BSAC Direct.

The BSAC 'Find It' tool will look for Clubs (Branches) or Centres (Schools). BSAC Korea, BSAC Japan and BSAC Thailand are franchises.

Overseas Centres and Resorts were conceived to enable UK members to dive and train on holiday. Overseas Branches are for ex-pats. Only the franchises sell to the local population.

Unfortunately, we don't have a presents in the US, but you could always join BSAC Direct.
Thanks, but $83/year to get a magazine? As you have said, the point is to have a club to dive with.

Thanks, but $83/year to get a magazine? As you have said, the point is to have a club to dive with.
And to make matters worse, our members' insurance doesn't cover those living in the US. From what I've read on here there are clubs in the US, but maybe not in your area.

Safe diving.

BSAC isn't in competition with PADI, we go diving.
You, sir, are responsible for the sorry demise of my computer's keyboard.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to list the benevolent, diver-loving organizations that give away free certs. If you don't know which ones those are, here is a process you can use to find them:

1. Look for a dive shop that advertises that it does not intend to make a profit. Its employees work without pay. The ownership is happy to run a money-losing business just to keep people happy.
2. Look for independent instructors who love to teach so much that they don't charge for their services. They will spend hours working with you with no thought of being compensated for their expertise. I am sure you have found plumbers and other service technicians who don't feel the need to be paid, so juse the same same search process you used to find them.
3. Look also for the dive gear manufacturers who give their gear away for free or below their costs. They will usually be associated with those benevolent agencies.

I know you're being tongue in cheek here but there are valid approaches to diving other than the for-profit dive shop.

I'm a member of a dive club that is non-profit. Instructors are paid, DMs are not, the people who do air fills, maintenance, VIPs, etc., likewise are not paid. The model is one where club members are expected to contribute their time and talents on a shared basis.

It is not about BSAC; it is merely an example of how a non profit organisation can provide a suitable training structure.

The model is one where club members are expected to contribute their time and talents on a shared basis.
AFAIK, that's basically the standard model for CMAS- or BSAC-affiliated clubs on the right side of the pond. Non-profit, run by the club community

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom