Padi Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I know divers trained by other agencies can continue to do their courses, I have members doing both PADI DM and Dive Leader. They say they complement each other,

Owing to the nature of the skills required at DL it is difficult to combine them into one dive.

DO1 – Mid-water DSMB with no vertical reference and holding station +/- 0.5m. Easy to do on a dive trip.

DO2 – Demonstration of how to lead an Ocean Diver on a dive. The demonstration covers the before water, in-water and post water aspects of dive leading. Can’t be combined with DO1 as an Ocean Diver wouldn’t do a mid-water DSMB deployment.

DO3 – Confirming competence of leading an Ocean Diver on a dive, before water, in-water and post water aspects. If other activities are included in this lesson the student wouldn’t be fairly assessed on leading a newly qualified Ocean Diver.

DO4 – This lesson simulates repositioning a shot that’s landed in the wrong place, then sending it up at the end of the dive. Easy to do on a dive trip, but can’t be combined with DO1 as DO4 also has its own DSMB deployment.

DO5 – Really a dry lesson. The student takes part in a number of rescue scenarios and acts as manager for at least one. I don’t know if PADI RD covers this or not?

DO6 – An assisted ascent both as donor and receiver from 15m, with mask clearing at 15m. Not possible to combine because of multiple faster then normal assents and the weight check is to be done with 50bar.

DO7 – a CBL from 15m, followed by a tow. Once out of the water ‘single rescue’ BLS, ‘two rescuer’ BLS, both without and with O2. Not possible to combine because of multiple faster then normal assents.

Deviation from the Diver Training Programme is not permitted, either to add or subtract items from the sylibus. Instructors are legally accountable for the lessons they sign-off not the Lead Instructor or the Branch.

I’m a little confused. First you criticise PADI for cutting corners and charging extra for none core skills, then you want BSAC to miss out half of a course. Just because we don’t charge for the training doesn’t make it any less professional; it just isn’t commercially driven.

I didn't say a thing about PADI cutting corners, but I do know from experience individual instructors do.

I didn't say BSAC should miss half a course either; I suggested instructors should have the option to leave out elements of the course where the candidate is able to demonstate existing ability.

No, of course not. Charging 50 bucks for an eCard or an replacement card, I call money grubbing.

Don't twist my words.

SSI charges the same as PADI for a replacement card. NAUI charges about $40. Where's the rage and indignation?

What a ridiculously inane PADI bashing thread.

SSI charges the same as PADI for a replacement card. NAUI charges about $40. Where's the rage and indignation?

The thread started because somebody raised a question about PADI's charges for a replacement card. If that's what SSI charge, they are robbing gits too.

Poor billion dollar cooperation, I hope people didn't hurt the investors feelings too much... I'm sure they'll get over it eventually.

So, honest question to you and tridacna, at what amount would YOU feel ripped-off? There's gotta be a point were an eCard is too expensive even for you guys, right? What is it? 80 dollars? 100 dollars? 300? 1000 dollars?

Stop acting as if people aren't willing to pay for stuff. People just don't think is a reasonale price for what they're getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you have a basic grasp of business?

Things like capital investment, return on investment, depreciation, overheads, etc etc

Or do you sincerely think that the only cost involved with printing and shipping cards is the time cost of a member of staff?

The postage ?
The database that needs to be checked?
The office the employee works in?
The electricity bill?
The cost of an industrial capacity card printer?
The employee's holiday and sickness pay?
The janitor who cleans the office?
The IT guy who keeps the systems running?

etc etc etc

Or the concept that revenue from one business area can offset costs from other areas.

Its just inane to believe that a corporation should send out cards at the cost of a plastic blank, some ink and seconds of an employees time. That's the business acumen expected of a pre-schooler. . .

All of that would be needed to process all the new certifications. Printing the odd duplicate only costs them the price of the blank and a few moments of staff time.

Last edited:
All of that would be needed to process all the new certifications. Printing the odd duplicate only costs them the price of the blank and a few moments of staff time.
LOL. Good luck with your business.

PADI have issued over 28 MILLION certifications. They currently average over 1 MILLION certifications a year.

How many 'odd' replacements do you think they issue per annum? LOL

PADI have issued over 28 MILLION certifications. They currently average over 1 MILLION certifications a year.

How many 'odd' replacements do you think they issue per annum? LOL

Are you for real? You really think issuing a higher volume of certs drives up the cost per unit? The fixed costs will be the software systems, print equipment and staff salaries - variable costs will be the quantity of blanks and postage. The more cards issued, the lower the cost of each unit becomes.

The primary purpose of the card printing operation is to issue new certifications, so they still need all that kit without printing duplicates; they do not have special machines just to create duplicates. For such a large operation, I would expect the process to be heavily automated, and the human element at most is an office wallah bringing up a customer's profile, clicking 'print card' or similar, and some low-paid post room drone stuffing it in an envelope and shoving it through the franking machine.

Divers.........arguing over $40 cards and $83 per year magazine subscriptions.

How many issues per year I wonder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom