PADI DM Gear Exchange Difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

**UPDATE**

Success!

I did the gear exchange today and everything went really well. Now my partner was an instructor, so that may have helped... It didn't take us long at all. We didn't talk about anything or plan on specifics, we just did it. I took the advice given here and made sure to take my time, slow down and don't rush anything. It also helped that my partner was very comfortable in the water as well. We did BCDs (weight integrated), then fins, then masks.. then we swam around and eventually switched all the gear back. I was stoked, to say the least. Major confidence booster for me, and I'm glad it worked out well. Think I'll do it again with someone else, just for the hell-of-it.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

YES!!!!!:banana::banana:

Safe Diving,
George

I'm working on my PADI DM through a shop with a very by-the-book owner (which is why I chose the shop). At the beginning of the DM course, he said that before the internship, we needed to complete the map, skill circuit, rescue assessment, and three exams (three specific exams). When we completed that, he said that PADI requires the Equipment Exchange to be done before the Internship. I was more upset because he didn't mention it before. We could have done it during a pool session after practicing the skills. Does PADI require the equipment exchange before the Internship? I'm doing it this weekend. I was more curious for my own edification.

Bri

Does PADI require the equipment exchange before the Internship?

No. "PADI" does not require it, but your Instructor does.

The Divemaster course is extremely flexible with sequencing. There are only a couple of requirements where Knowledge Development topics must be covered before doing certain things, otherwise it is up to the Instructor how to sequence the course.

Follow the course as your Instructor guides you. There's a reason they want certain things done before others.

I prefer my candidates to have everything done before they enter the Internship. I don't want any train wrecks in front of my students.

No. "PADI" does not require it, but your Instructor does.

I prefer my candidates to have everything done before they enter the Internship. I don't want any train wrecks in front of my students.

Thanks Joe-Diver. Personally, I think it makes sense to complete everything else before the internship. That way, the DMC thinks only about the task at hand - which includes non-certified divers. I thought it strange for PADI to require that standard, since I couldn't find it in the Instructor Manual or course descriptions online.

Hopefully, I complete my DM by the spring diving season.

- Bri

It's been very rewarding thus far. I've become a much better, more aware diver, and a better dive buddy in the process. Likewise, I "know what I don't know" and understand the term "dive within your limits" much better.

When I did it, we opted for the 'advanced' version, which was kind of a tradition at the shop I interned with. The instructor swam around my buddy and myself knocking off our masks, turning off our tanks, loosening cam bands, and generally causing problems. It added a lot of excitement!

We split up our weights between belts and the BCs so that we were more or less neutral without the BCs, but there was enough weight in the BCs to keep them from floating away. Remember that an AL80 is 4lbs positive when empty, and you can really go through some air on this exercise. We did exchange weight belts, but that's not required.

It's also a good idea to start in your buddy's equipment. But I think the most important thing to the gear exchange is to have an attitude of the fun involved. When I did it we were in 8 ft of clear warm water, and with the other guys around there's basically no danger involved. You can easily go 30 secs- 1 min without a breath if you need to (definitely NOT recommended, but remembering that can have a calming effect during the buddy breathing) and you can always just swim to the surface.

I've read online about others who had a similar experience to what you described. I do think it would increase the fun and challenge. Personally, I doubt that my shop will do that, since there will be OW students in the pool at the same time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yesterday, I finished the Equipment Exchange. It was fun. I got to do it twice because we had three candidates. I did it with both of the other two. No problems, none of us bolted. I also finished my 100 yd Tired Diver Tow. Now, I just need to finish the internship.

Thanks to everyone for your advice on the topic.

v/r,
Bri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom