PADI DM Gear Exchange Difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember their is no time limit, if you only loosen one strap or buckle then breathe back and forth for a few minutes to get relaxed that is fine. If you predetermine a hand signal that means lets stop and just breathe until ok is given to continue exchanging it allows you to calm down. Work together and go really, really slow.

I had a plan... a couple actually. They didn't work. For this to work both candidates need to be very comfortable in the water. My first partner was a bit panicky at times which caused problems... i.e. grabbing the regulator from my hands, moving too fast, shooting to the surface, etc... My second partner was an instructor and we progressed pretty far... until I faced the problems mentioned above (weighting, bcd, sizing, etc...). So, I don't consider my post "cheating", but rather asking others who have been there and maybe in a similar situation, for some advice that might help with my planning on the next attempt.

Thanks to all those who have offered their advice. I will be attempting this again this Saturday, and I'll let ya'll know how I make out.

Cheers!

Dan

Since you're going for a professional ranking, it would have been better, imho, to work again with the same first partner. Discuss what went wrong and why he bolted. Sit, talk it over, and plan it well and do it with him/her until it works. The whole exercise is not for YOU to pass it but to work with another diver and solve problems.
When I did mine, we asked (I was doing it on a resort island with 21 dive shops) and everyone just laughed and said, "you're on your own". My partner bolted once and we figured it out.
But you're right, you need to relax. Perhaps just go down and buddy breath according to a plan for 20 minutes. I think that's the biggest key. Have a strict air share plan where each one KNOWS the reg is coming within a few seconds. Good luck.

This is not a difficult skill. It's a skill I taught my students in their OW class as a confidence builder.

The keys are:

1. Discuss the skill step by step with your buddy before you get in the water. You do not need surprises.

2. Help each other. Some things are much easier to do with two hands. You have one free hand, she has one free hand, work together.

3. Do things on your body when she's breathing. Do things on her body when you're breathing. From time to time, you might have to do things for her that she can't see (and vice versa). Do them when she's breathing. Have her do things for you while you're breathing.

4. Since you are so different in size, loosen her BC as much as possible before the skill begins.

5. Move slowly. Breathe slowly and deeply. If you need to stop for a minute, stop for a minute. Discuss the possibility and discuss your signal for it.

3. Do things on your body when she's breathing. Do things on her body when you're breathing. From time to time, you might have to do things for her that she can't see (and vice versa). Do them when she's breathing. Have her do things for you while you're breathing.

Are we still talking about SCUBA? :D

HAHA....

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I really, really appreciate it. I'll be in the pool again tomorrow, so I'll post any progress tomorrow night.

Cheers!

It really is a not that difficult if you relax and slow down. As Walter said it can be a real confidence bulider. We also use it that way in our ow classes. Usually after the ditch and don. Once they realize they can do that and the bailout exchanging gear seems like nothing.

**UPDATE**

Success!

I did the gear exchange today and everything went really well. Now my partner was an instructor, so that may have helped... It didn't take us long at all. We didn't talk about anything or plan on specifics, we just did it. I took the advice given here and made sure to take my time, slow down and don't rush anything. It also helped that my partner was very comfortable in the water as well. We did BCDs (weight integrated), then fins, then masks.. then we swam around and eventually switched all the gear back. I was stoked, to say the least. Major confidence booster for me, and I'm glad it worked out well. Think I'll do it again with someone else, just for the hell-of-it.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom