PADI DM Gear Exchange Difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainKidd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,

I'm wrapping up my DM requirements and I'm having a major issue with the gear exchange skill. Can anyone offer some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. So far, this is the first time any skill has made me nervous in the water. I've already attempted this 4 times, with no luck.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Cheers!

Dan

You don't say what specific problem you're having, but here are a couple tips:
*Get the buddy breathing rhythm down first, then proceed with the gear
*Do in a standing position
*Wear a weight belt so you don't give up your ballast when you hand off the BC (both of you)
*Do one thing at a time

theskull

Think of a plan and go REALLY slowly.

Stop after each bit to make sure you're thinking through the next bit before continuing.

So, stop, breathe, think, remove bit of kit, stop, breathe,think, hand over bit of kit, stop, breathe,think, receive replacement bit and so on.

Its entirely an exercise in problem solving and nothing else. Dont rush it by trying a bit of kit on each breathing cycle - if you need more breaths to think or compose yourself then take it.

Here's a tip... if you can get away with it. Wear each other's equipment starting out, then you are exchanging into your own. The fit and adjustment issues will be much easier with your own gear since you are used to it.

As said, get the breathing rhythm down first before trying to swap gear. One person at a time remove/don gear while the other handles the reg. Move slowly and methodically. It isn't a timed exercise.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't go into details with the specific problems I was having.

Here they are:

1. We weren't wearing weight belts. We were in our weight integrated BCD's so, once the BCD came off, staying down was really difficult, making buddy breathing more difficult.

2. Size difference. I'm 5'-10" 180lbs and my partner was maybe 5'-1" and unsure of her weight - 2 different size BCDs with different amounts of weight.

I agree, we should've slowed down. I can see how that would help tremendously. Also, wearing weight belts would've made a huge difference... I'm not sure why my instructor didn't allow us to do that or even mention it. I'll have to ask him.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Dan

1. We weren't wearing weight belts. We were in our weight integrated BCD's so, once the BCD came off, staying down was really difficult, making buddy breathing more difficult.

Wear weightbelts. You do not have to swap suits or belts.

I hate WI BCs for that reason - if you need to dekit underwater you're in trouble with them.

2. Size difference. I'm 5'-10" 180lbs and my partner was maybe 5'-1" and unsure of her weight - 2 different size BCDs with different amounts of weight.

If the BCs are drastically different sized either start in the other persons OR you are allowed to swap and swap straight back. I did mine (size small) with someone size XXL and i could remove his BC by falling out through the bottom of it.

So remember:- suits and weight belts are not swapped so take advantage of it!

Wear weightbelts. You do not have to swap suits or belts.

I hate WI BCs for that reason - if you need to dekit underwater you're in trouble with them.

If the BCs are drastically different sized either start in the other persons OR you are allowed to swap and swap straight back. I did mine (size small) with someone size XXL and i could remove his BC by falling out through the bottom of it.

So remember:- suits and weight belts are not swapped so take advantage of it!

That's awesome news! Thanks String, that really helps!

:D

I'm wrapping up my DM requirements and I'm having a major issue with the gear exchange skill. Can anyone offer some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. So far, this is the first time any skill has made me nervous in the water. I've already attempted this 4 times, with no luck.
It would be helpful to understand what happened during the previous attempts.
theskull:
You don't say what specific problem you're having, but here are a couple tips:
*Get the buddy breathing rhythm down first, then proceed with the gear DEFINITELY
*Do in a standing position WE WERE KNEELING
*Wear a weight belt so you don't give up your ballast when you hand off the BC (both of you) YES
*Do one thing at a time YES, YES, YES
I did my DM gear exchange with a colleague who is 4" shorter, and 40 pounds lighter, than me. The difference you describe is admittedly a little greater. As I recall (and this description is subject to possible memory lapses), we found that the 'secret' to success was in the sequencing - SLOWLY AND METHODICALLY exchange everything we could, short of the BC (and air supply), first. (We also had the challenge of his mask having prescription lenses. So, we exchanged -and donned and cleared - masks twice, ending up with our original masks.) We also swapped weight belts, twice, to end up with our proper amount of weight. But, we had to do a full exchange, so that we held the other diver's weight belt for a brief time, before handing it back. What I don't remember are all the details of the buddy breathing, but he and I had done our 20 skills together, so we had buddy breathing refined to a fairly practiced art, and that is what made it work for us. Buddy breathing is not the easiest skill in the world. That memory issue aside, what worked for us: We exchanged masks, fins, AND weight belts. Then, we faced each other, both removed our BCDs, and placed them in front of us, to the right side, just like demonstrating the 'BCD remove and replace' skill for a OW class. We then each shifted our tank and BCD from the right side to the left side, (so after the exchange, the BCDs would be on the right side of the 'donning diver). Then it was just a matter of redonning the BCD in front of us, and swimming around in the exchanged gear. The key for us, very much like doing Rescue Scenario 7, and having to remove the unresponsive diver's gear and your own gear, while keeping up rescue breathing, is slow, easy, small steps. If something doesn't work at first, stop, keep breathing, try again.

ROFL, I did this 2 weeks ago with a guy who's 5'3 and I'm 6'5" the only think that didn't fit were his full foot fins!

I say this just to give you comfort that the size different isn't a big deal.

You don't have to look good while doing it, you just have to do it. Add some weight to the BC and deflate it. (You don't have to use the same amount of weight you would dive in) Once you remove it, hold it in front of you.
Agree on the order you will do things... You first - him/her first etc and stick to it.
Do help each other put on the gear specially getting your arms in and the buckles.
Don't unclip shoulders quick releases, that way you can put the BC in one quick turn of the body.
Practice donning and doffing your BC smoothly and quickly.

If you wear weight belts, you still have to exchange them!

Also, remember you don't have to do it in set time frame, you don't have to do anything but breathe if you don't want to. If anything stresses you take a break for a few cycles doing nothing but breathing and calming down.

Stay close and relax.
Even if you swallow the whole pool you are not going to die :D

So remember:- weight belts are not swapped so take advantage of it!

That's not what I was told, but if that's the case it simplifies things a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom