PADI Deep Diver Standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Just back to an origianl subject,,,

To dive deep isn’t a rocket science. You just simply go deep as long as you aren’t coward. However, to be safely out of water is another matter. The deep class is to teach how to get out of water safely. It is a barometer of good diver in my perspectives.

That's exactly where some of us disagree. We don't think the PADI deep diver specialty teaches any such thing.
In addition, it is also true that there aren't many rec. instructors who are actually doing a deep diving regularly in mid-west.

Just my 2 bar..

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that there aren't instructors teaching recreational deep diving classes or that there aren't midwest instructors doing deep dives?

Either way, we have some VERY deep diving fairly locally and there are LOTS of deep diving courses being taught.

MikeFerrara:
that there aren't midwest instructors doing deep dives?

Either way, we have some VERY deep diving fairly locally and there are LOTS of deep diving courses being taught.

I mean that there aren't midwest rec. instructors doing deep dives. Sometimes, I think how I could know you, Duane, and in_cavediver without being a Scubaboard.

In fact, it isn't easy for mid-west OW students to find and meet a right instructor depending on your needs.

hoosier:
I mean that there aren't midwest rec. instructors doing deep dives. Sometimes, I think how I could know you, Duane, and in_cavediver without being a Scubaboard.

In fact, it isn't easy for mid-west OW students to find and meet a right instructor depending on your needs.

Your right about me, I am not an instructor. Mentor yes, opinionated very, DM lapsed but still not blessed to issue C-cards. Perhaps if the University gets it act together with pool access I'll go and get blessed and teach at Purdue.

Though Mike Ferrara is right, there are quite a few in Indiana I know who do a fair bit of deepish diving. Few have the PADI deep card though.....

This thread of course has digressed into a bash PADI fest. That wasn't my intent, but often times it is warranted. As the OP, let me offer a follow-up question to attempt to put this thread back onto a positive track ...

What is the best way to go about safely learning and experiencing recreational (within NDL and depth limits) deeper diving? Please don't come back with Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures. That's not the kind of diving I'm talking about. That's technical deep diving and is not the intent of my question. I can find tons of advice on that both here and on TDS.

How does a sport diver safely acquire the proper theory (physiology and physics), equipment requirements and practical experience to dive in the 100-130 range within NDLs in the cold, dark water we have in the Midwest?

Excellent question- id love to hear the answer without all the PADI bashing that goes on here whenever anyone asks anything to do with specialty courses etc

Divin'Hoosier:
How does a sport diver safely acquire the proper theory (physiology and physics), equipment requirements and practical experience to dive in the 100-130 range within NDLs in the cold, dark water we have in the Midwest?

If then, why don't you justify that you need recrationally to dive deep in the cold, dark, and murky water we have in mid-west, even where there is no deeper spot than 120'?

Just question, Jim (no offense at all)......:D

Divin'Hoosier:
What is the best way to go about safely learning and experiencing recreational (within NDL and depth limits) deeper diving? Please don't come back with Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures. That's not the kind of diving I'm talking about. That's technical deep diving and is not the intent of my question. I can find tons of advice on that both here and on TDS.

Anything deeper than about 100 is a technical dive IMO. I would recommend at least a recreational triox course.

Divin'Hoosier:
This thread of course has digressed into a bash PADI fest. That wasn't my intent, but often times it is warranted. As the OP, let me offer a follow-up question to attempt to put this thread back onto a positive track ...

Actually Adv. Nitrox and Deco *is* or up until recent was the way to do exactly that. PADI Deep does not get into equipment requirements, physiology and physics and offer significant practical experience.

PADI Deep taught me <- -> much about deep diving. Enough to get a taste for it, learn it won't kill me all under the guidance of an instructor. I then "hung around" several other PADI Deep classes with the same instructor getting some additional deep dives under my belt. Not specifically under his care, custody and control of the class but close enough to help (or be helped). So if PADI Deep specialty requires 4 dives total, I figured I hung around him for at least another 4, maybe 8 dives.

And you're right about it being around here. These weren't all around here. Most of the dives were in Florida, places like 40 Fathoms, Blue Grotto and Paradise. Others were in the Keys on the Speigel Grove, Duane, Bibb and Eagle. Deep around here means cold and dark. To me the 70 ft. platform at Gilboa is the equivalent to some degree stress and skill-wise of a 100 ft. dive on the Speigel Grove.

After I probably had 50 dives all in excess of 100 ft., some at 130 ft. even, I took an extended range course before progressing on to Adv. Nitrox and Deco class. Extended range taught me more about equipment, gave me my first taste of doubles, redundancy, lift bag and so on... all within recreational limits (mostly). Extended Range also taught me more about the physiology and physics.

After doing some extended range dives and some practice dives where I actually paid the instructor to come along, I then tackled Adv. Nitrox and Deco. So it kept building onto of each other. Even went as far as to get the PADI Recreational Diving Encylopedia, the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook and the "Wheel", tho I wasn't shooting for DM. Nothing wrong with a little book learning.

Not heard of anyone teaching Extended Range diving around here though. Overseas, Canada and Florida mainly I think.

You're asking for something that just isn't being taught until you get to Tech diving usually here in the Midwest, at least that's my take on it. That is unless you go with GUE. They really start this from the beginning from what I've seen. But the teaching style, requirements and costs are much different than a typical PADI course.

I guess that makes me an un-certified Tech Diver :D

hoosier:
If then, why don't you justify that you need recrationally to dive deep in the cold, dark, and murky water we have in mid-west, even where there is no deeper spot than 120'?

Just question, Jim (no offense at all)......:D

WT ... Good question with a simple answer. GL wrecks. There are plenty of awesome wrecks in the Lakes that are in the 100-130 range. The best are even deeper, but that's tech diving and not the subject of my question.

Back
Top Bottom