PADI Deep Diver Standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know the standards for the PADI deep diver specialty course? What I'm specifically looking for is whether or not I have to wear my snorkel? :wink:

Just Kidding!!!

What I'd like to know is what depth ranges are required for the four dives? I've run into instructors who I think may skirt the standards in terms of depth due to the fact that we don't have too many deep quarries close to central Indiana. The only places I know of "close by" where you can truly do a deep diver course are Gilboa (3.5 hours away) and Mermet (6+ hours away).

Anyway, what do PADI standards require in terms of depth for the four dives?

Standards:
The minimum depth required for open water is between 18 to 30 metres/
60 to 100 feet, with no dive exceeding 40 metres/130 feet. The instructor
is to insure that all dives are conducted within the no-decompression limits,
with deeper dives being conducted first.
Seems like it would be a shame to actually teach a Deep Specialty without exceeding 60', but it's permitted ....

Divin'Hoosier:
Does anyone know the standards for the PADI deep diver specialty course? What I'm specifically looking for is whether or not I have to wear my snorkel? :wink:

Just Kidding!!!

What I'd like to know is what depth ranges are required for the four dives? I've run into instructors who I think may skirt the standards in terms of depth due to the fact that we don't have too many deep quarries close to central Indiana. The only places I know of "close by" where you can truly do a deep diver course are Gilboa (3.5 hours away) and Mermet (6+ hours away).

Min depth requirements of 60-100ft, with a maximum of 130ft. No exceeding the NDL's, do deepest dive first............yada yada.

This is the deep specialty of course.

keyscapt:
Standards: Seems like it would be a shame to actually teach a Deep Specialty without exceeding 60', but it's permitted ....

At first glance I don't see how it's permitted to do less than 60ft myself. It says minimum depth.

And whats required to beginn. Someone told me "nothing" other told me a specific amount of dives below 18 meter....

By the way my deep dive adventure course was at 18.5 meter because there was no deeper place:no

Divin'Hoosier:

Just Kidding!!!

h90:
And whats required to beginn. Someone told me "nothing" other told me a specific amount of dives below 18 meter....
AOW or equivalent, minimum 15 years of age

PADI's only depth requirement is deeper than 60 feet. The other depths are recommendations. Here there are:

Dive 1: 80-100 feet
Dive 2: 60-80 feet
Dive 3: 100-130 feet
Dive 4: 60-100 feet

I have done deep classes in our local quarry with a max depth of 85 feet. However, the focus on deep diving shouldn't be how deep can you go, but rather on how well you plan out the dive and how good/bad your diving skills are.

h90:

By the way my deep dive adventure course was at 18.5 meter because there was no deeper place:no

Padi Adventure Diver or equivalent, for one.

Bascially nothing, you're right. There are no "XX amount if dives below YY" requirement.

ppo2_diver:
...... However, the focus on deep diving shouldn't be how deep can you go, but rather on how well you plan out the dive and how good/bad your diving skills are.

Amen brother.

And that's the thing that most miss about this, and most other dive related courses, which is why a majority are so useless.

ppo2_diver:
I have done deep classes in our local quarry with a max depth of 85 feet. However, the focus on deep diving shouldn't be how deep can you go, but rather on how well you plan out the dive and how good/bad your diving skills are.

I understand your point Duane. That is clearly the most important part. However, what about actually exposing a diver to what it's like to dive in the 100-130' range? Isn't that also important? To experience the limits of recreational depth while under the watchful eye of an instructor who can see signs of narcosis that the diver themselves could easily miss?

I like the guidelines, but I think the standards are too minimal. You could theoretically then do four dives to 61' and be within standards. That troubles me.

I agree.
And just for the sake of discussion, requiring AOW or equivalent ensures that at least one dive to 60' or lower has been accomplished prior to the specialty course. (And that with an instructor)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom