PADI certification Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I have my scuba diver, open water diver, Advanced and rescue cards and they all have the same design. I just recieved my nitrox and it has a different design. it has a smaller picture and also instead of saying student number it says diver number. On my other cards the instructors number is just numbers. on my nitrox the instructors number has owsi infront of the actual number. can someone explain all this to me please.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure there is anything to explain, PADI probably just changed card designs between a couple of your classes. As long as you the cards to present to shops and charters that request them, you should be fine.

Also - different regions have different cert cards. If you did one course in Thailand, one course in Egypt, and one in America, you will have different looking cert cards because each regional office has a slightly different design and (in some cases) legal requirement as to what is printed.

They do change from time to time.

C.

You can always call PADI to check the card design, or look on their website to see what the current cards look like.

Sounds like you just received a newer card design though.

Mat.

You can also arrange to have an AWARE design which costs extra but the additional funds are not for PADI

can anyone tell me y the instructors number has owsi (open water scuba instructor) infront of it and the others don't.

thanks

OWSI is your instructor's rating (as opposed to MSDT or MI or CD or Staff Inst. OR OR OR .....)

Student number/diver number... same same. You get new numbers for every cert until you reach the "pro" level (Dive Master) and then..... YOU ARE BRANDED FOR LIFE

Nitrox is a specialty, whereas your other certs are "moving up a level" in training. Mine is bright and (used to be) shiny gold, so go figure.

Designs do change... remember the black and grey c cards with no pretty pictures?

Hope that helps.

can anyone tell me y the instructors number has owsi (open water scuba instructor) infront of it and the others don't.

thanks

I'm guessing here, but I think it goes back to the fact that Nitrox is a specialty certification, not a "level".

Once someone becomes a PADI professional they get one number and it doesn't change. The number I have as a Divemaster will be the same number for Open Water Scuba Instructor Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IDC Staff Instructor, Master Instructor or Course Director. Some cards will just put the PADI Professional's number but sometimes they add the current level of the professional.

If it has owsi the person is currently an Open Water Scuba Instructor. My number might be prefixed with dm since I am currently a DiveMaster.

Nitrox is the 'dark side'.

If you look very closely, you can see the faint watermark of an 'all seeing eye' imprinted onto the pattern of the card.

...and if you remember carefully, you will notice that your instructor used a different sort of handshake when you passed the course.

Don't ask too many more questions.... you don't know who might be listening! :wink:

See you at the lodge next week!

Back
Top Bottom