PADI and IDEA certfication comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cap35951

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently completed PADI open water certification. One of the local quarry locations I dive is IDEA, I am looking at Advance Open Water certification working toward Master Scuba Diver or Dive Master. Are there issues with having certification through different agencies or is it best to have all certification through 1 agency? What are the draw backs to crossing over to a different agency? Does anyone have any opinions on IDEA, seems information pertaining to IDEA more difficult to compare PADI and IDEA. I know IDEA is lower cost than PADI. Both instructors are good.

Neither agency dictates what a course should cost. Local economy and what the market will bear does.
Obviously PADI has a much larger base of instructors /recognition and facilities that makes it easier for the consumer to complete training on their travels.
If going pro you would usually have a better chance finding employment as a PADI pro , again because of its recognition and larger coverage.

BUT if your LDS is associated with an agency other than PADI and if you feel you may have a future there as a pro, then go with whatever agency they are with.
Does not matter for ow to rescue what agency you take courses from until pro level.
you can go to different ones . If going for non pro level "master scuba diver" thru PADI all specialties and rescue must be thru PADI.

If going for non pro level "master scuba diver" thru PADI all specialties and rescue must be thru PADI.

From PADI website:
https://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/padi-courses/course-catalog/master-scuba-diver/
The path starts with earning a PADI Open Water Diver certification, followed by PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certifications). You also need to earn five PADI Specialty Diver certifications and have logged a minimum of 50 dives.

My bold to point out that you only have to be certified OW, AOW, and Rescue, not necessarily PADI, but a recognized agency. From their description, I read that only the Specialties have to be PADI.

Bob

From PADI website:

My bold to point out that you only have to be certified OW, AOW, and Rescue, not necessarily PADI, but a recognized agency. From their description, I read that only the Specialties have to be PADI.

Bob

This is correct.

I'm thinking of getting an IDEA certification for nitrox, does anyone think I might have trouble getting a nitrox fill or some other issues because some dive shop or some dive charter does not recognize IDEA? I don't plan on ever being an instructor or other dive professional.

I myself never heard of IDEA before a few weeks ago, maybe I don't get around enough.

Back
Top Bottom