PADI Altitude Diving Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That leisurepro slate is cheap but the shipping kills plus it's UPS so I'll get hammered with duty/brokerage on top of that too. $8 for a card and $40+ for shipping and duty/brokerage. I'm thinking I just won't bother unless they are willing to fire it in a plain envelope and stick it in the snail mail. Those rates are just ridiculous for 1 item. :shakehead:

[EDIT]
Just called them and they won't do that. Apparently the mail doesn't exist for big companies ??? No business for them.

How does the PIC work for this specialty then? How would you take this course? I have the adventure book and read the section and done the quizes and knowledge review, but seeing as how there is no other book do I just pay $50 odd bucks for a PIC do 2 dives with my instructor and that's it?

How does the PIC work for this specialty then? How would you take this course? I have the adventure book and read the section and done the quizes and knowledge review, but seeing as how there is no other book do I just pay $50 odd bucks for a PIC do 2 dives with my instructor and that's it?

Yes.

If I were teaching you this course, you'd pay the same for a two dive specialty regardless of whether it was the Altitude, Drift, PPB, Fish ID, Naturalist, Boat, whatever. Materials are your responsibility; that is, they're not included in the price of my course. IF materials ARE normally included in the price of a course where you normally take courses, then I'd expect that a course with no materials (like this one) would be priced differently (i.e. cheaper) than a course that DID have materials.

So yeah, find an instructor, pay for the course, go over the knowledge reviews, do the dives, get your certification and be happy. :) Although PADI doesn't sanction this behaviour, you might also photocopy and laminate the tables you're interested in, from the Adventures in Diving manual.

good luck, and have fun!

kari

Ok thanks Kari. I was thinking about printing my own version of that for myself. Where in Alberta are you?

I'm from St. Albert, currently in Cozumel, Mexico. If you're looking for an instructor in AB I might be able to recommend someone (if you don't already have a favourite!) if you need.

kari

That leisurepro slate is cheap but the shipping kills plus it's UPS so I'll get hammered with duty/brokerage on top of that too. $8 for a card and $40+ for shipping and duty/brokerage. I'm thinking I just won't bother unless they are willing to fire it in a plain envelope and stick it in the snail mail. Those rates are just ridiculous for 1 item. :shakehead:

If you really want one, check with a store in the area. I would bet one of them has one or will order it for you.
Better yet, here is an excel file download, change it around how you like and laminate it.

I have one extra altitude slate and can get more. The used one (ie not in a package) I'll let you have for 7 and I will ship via the mail. It is small enough to toss in a padded envelope and send 1st class. figure around 6 bucks for postage and the envelope (send me an address for exact figure). If you want it PM me for paypal instructions.

New ones (or "used" plastic must have fell off, can't consider it new:shakehead:) would be whatever the shop I'd get them from charges me (and I can't honestly say what that would be) plus the postage. I ship to customers in Canada all the time via the regular mail. UPS only when it;s absolutely necessary as they are outrageous.

And I'm betting since it's "used" there is no duty or brokerage fees.

XS-NRG,

Call The Dive Shop in Calgary. They have lots of the tables in stock. I seem to think they are around $10.00. They can mail it to you.

Ask for one of the "Sport Diving Altitude Tables".

They are in imperial units.

1,000 foot altitude increments from 1,000 to 10,000 and 10 foot depth increments from 0 to 130 feet. Also shows safety stop depths for each altitude.

They are the same size and thickness plastic as the dive tables.

Bill

Kari

I've got an instructor here that I'll likely use but she wasn't in the shop and it didn't look like they had this slate either.

Scott,

Thanks for that Excel file. Handy.

Bill,

I'll check them out. Which store exactly?

Jim,

If Calgary doesn't work out for me (I'm only 2 hours away from there) then I'll gladly take your used one. Thanks.

"The Dive Shop" 403-243-4616

Back
Top Bottom