Packing, Travel, Resort and Diving Tips for SB Invasion 2017 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eve

The amount of thermal protection people need is such an individual thing. We are all different. On top of that remember we will be doing multiple dives for multiple days. I always bring a 2mm shorty, Hooded vest, 3mm full suit, 1 mm long sleeve top, rash guard tops, then mix and match as needed. If I can stay warm enough, I prefer just shorts and a rash guard top, but half way through the week I usually have to add a little insulation.

I can remember a trip where I was buddied up with someone that gets cold easily, she wore a 5 mm full suit, I was completely comfortable with shorts and a rash guard.

Keith
AKA MNJoe

Good idea. .I'll bring both plus my rash guard to for an extra layer

I have a nice long sleeve sorry and a full suit both 3/2 that should work. ..plus I'm thinking of getting as skin to go with the full too

I'm here at AKR now and have been here a week. The diving is the best I've ever done. The bugs are the worst I've ever seen! Get Cactus Juice and slather it on at every oppo. Make sure you do The Oddysea wreck, Mary's Place and the Shore Dive. The night dives are meh. Too many people and too many lights! Turn them off! We've gotten bored with seeing turtles, free swimming morays and 200 ft vis - love it here. I'm diving in a T shirt and trunks- maybe a 2mil vest and a hood at night. Water is like a bath (85f)
AKR IS THE BEST!

@george_austin, does the cactus juice work in your opinion? I'll be doing 2 weeks and I don't want to be eaten alive while I'm there.
Also, can you give any details about the shore dive?

@noj3333, I did two weeks on Roatan last year at a resort right on the beach. I used nothing but Cactus Juice. It worked great for my wife and I , as well as two friends we were traveling with.

Whatever your repellent of choice...watch out for porous materials (wood benches, chairs, HAMMOCKS). Be sure to apply prior to using or sitting. The worst case of being chewed up I saw last year at AKR was acquired from a hammock. You could actually see the pattern outline of the mesh on his back. I used the hammocks just fine, but I applied liberally (deet wipes) before stretching out. Don't mean to spook anyone, just a friendly reminder. AKR is a blast. Have fun. :)

Last edited:
@george_austin, does the cactus juice work in your opinion? I'll be doing 2 weeks and I don't want to be eaten alive while I'm there.

Nothing worked for me. I used all the different kinds of Cactus Juice plus the Orange No See Em Juice -no effect. I woke up one night and the No See Ums were just literally crawling over my ankles after liberally coating myself after shower before bed. Other people have had it easy with the bugs but they kind of spoiled the trip a little for me. I'd wake up 3-4 times a night going stark raving mad from the itchies!!

Make sure you do the White Hole site too

O.J will be manning the Shore Dive Shack. Walk out to waist deep water and get your fins on - blow up your BC and just follow the rope underwater through a crack in the reef. After about 100 yards, you'll be in 30ft water and swim out to 45-50 fsw- GREAT DIVE with a wall, turtles, Queen Angels, Gray Angels, maybe a spotted Eagle or two. Vis was 100 ft. Once you get out past the shallows. Biggest Blue Parrotfish I've ever seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom