Packing tanks for an overseas move?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EberWolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm moving back to the US after 10 years overseas. I have a steel twinset Faber Steel set that will be traveling with me. What's the best way to get them back with me?

If the packing company will take them, it will be about 3 to 4 months for them to arrive with the rest of my household goods to me in the US. (it's literally going on a slow boat from Bahrain to Virginia)

Or should I dismantle the set, plug the tanks and mail them back?

Third option would be to separate the tanks and pack them in separate suitcases.

I constructed a couple of 14kg cardboard boxes

021.JPG

Assuming they are DOT stamped tanks, I would suggest dismantling the set and plugging the tanks. Or just put a piece of clear packing tape over the opening. Then I’d pack them separately.

If they’re not DOT tanks, then of course you sell them where they can be filled and tested.

If shipping them (the "slow boat"), I'd pull them apart, put a silica gel pack in each, and plug them (tank plug or tape).... The environment they will see....

There are DOT requirements for transporting compressed gas cylinders on commercial vehicles. Check with you moving company. It would be best if you could dump the pressure down to 200 p.s.i. and ship them intact.

Otherwise the valves will have to be removed. Screw a plastic plug into the cylinder to prevent internal contamination.

I took a set of aluminum doubles to Cozumel in April, valves removed. I put one tank in each of my suitcases. There wasn't much room for anything else in the suitcases. The airline gave me a 70-pound weight limit for each suitcase, but it was still tricky trying to fly with two tanks.

Thanks for the advice. These are DOT approved. I bought them from a dealer in Virginia and mailed them to myself here in Bahrain. They're smaller tanks but with the bar manifold it weighs in around 31 LBS. I'll explore the options you all gave and see what will work best for me.
P_20231113_201012(1).jpg

Thanks for the advice. These are DOT approved. I bought them from a dealer in Virginia and mailed them to myself here in Bahrain. They're smaller tanks but with the bar manifold it weighs in around 31 LBS. I'll explore the options you all gave and see what will work best for me.View attachment 849626
Those are adorable :)

Back
Top Bottom