Packing regulators for traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never take them apart! Do you disassemble your laptop?
Only concern is to make sure not to kink the hoses when you pack them. Carry on or baggage is your choice. Often a good idea to gice some kind of wrap protection - towel, wetsuit, underwear, ...

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for not taking them apart? Regs are trivially easy to remove hose from and replace them. Is there something I'm missing?

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for not taking them apart? Regs are trivially easy to remove hose from and replace them. Is there something I'm missing?

Risk management. You've just created a means by which debris can mess with your regulator. It wasn't broke, but you just 'fixed' it.

Packed in my carry-on, intact and ready to dive....
Don't take them apart unless they need repair.

1) everytime you remove/replace a hose you risk wear-an-tear on the little O-ring that provides the air-tight connection between the hose and the 1st-stage.

2) Have you actually seen how small the HP 'hole' is ? It would take very little dirt/debris to clog up that little hole, or blow debris down the hose into your SPG or expensive A. I. dive computer!

3) if you want to keep your reg 'oxygen clean' taking it apart and risking oils/contaminants getting inside the reg is a big 'no-no'!

4) everytime you remove/replace a hose you run the risk of cross-threading the hose into the 1st-stage, trashing the reg! (1st-stage brass is soft!)

5) removing/replacing hoses frequently increases the chances of an 'oops!' where you get sloppy/in a hurry and forget to tighten the hose properly......a blown LP hose will completely drain a full scuba tank in under 2 minutes!

...need any more obvious reasons ?

I travel with my regulator and integrated computer, and the dealer and manufacturers stated not to dismantle or dis-assemble for the reasons stated above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom