Packing for a 1 week trip with current airline restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The restriction for the larger jets just mean that it will cost more (typically $30-$50, each way) if you bring an extra or over weight bag. That may not be much in the context of the overall cost for the vacation. Although nice to avoid if you can. But really the airlines are just looking for an other revenue source. Smaller aircraft like inter-island puddle jumpers may have more restrictive weight limits.

Good point, I just pay a little extra to bring all the stuff I might want. I'd rather have my stuff than worry about a relatively insignificant charge.

I can't think of too many travelers, who ever say that they wish they had packed more.

If you find that you really need something you didn't pack...guess what...you can always buy it there.

You can spot a vacation traveler a mile away. They do not know how to pack. And as a woman, let me say that women are the worst offenders. You do not need 10 LBS of makeup, a different outfit for each day, and you do not need several shoe options for each outfit. OMG, it is so stupid.
People who pack like that deserve the hefty fee at the airport. And by the way...just because you bring an extra bag & pay an extra fee does not mean that your bag will make the flight. If the plane is overweight, those extra bags are the first ones to get pulled off. And believe me, you do not want your bag sitting down in the bag room of your airport, waiting for another flight. The list of what can go wrong is very long. You would be shocked, and I mean SCHOCKED if you could see the bag room of an airport. Not to mention what is going on with the TSA. The fact that people check bags at all is a huge leap of faith.

One other consideration. On some airlines it is cheaper to pay the extra bag fee of $25 than the overweight fee $80 Delta, $25 and $50 respectively for Continental. American is still allowing 2 checked bags with $50 overweight fee (according to their website). United is $100 for the extra bag, and $100 for overweight so it's a wash. All this assumes overweight is 51 - 70 pounds. Over 70 pounds is even higher.

I didn't see this on Americans Website, but I believe that the weight limit is 35 pounds for checked bags from Puerto Rico to Bonaire on American Express. I'm not sure what the overweight surcharge is.

Bottom Line: Check with you airline, and all connecting airlines to see which is the best way to go, if you can't pack under 35 pounds plus you carryon - which also has weight in addtion to size limits.

Cancun airport; we came back from Playa del Carmen on April 19, checked in 2 bags. We always carry our regs and camera housing with flash in the carry-on. The TSA always do a search but this time he said no flash allow onboard the plane. That's a surprise, asked what's the problem but he couldn't tell. We even took the batteries out. Still not allow. He said we have to go back to check-in counter and have it check-in. Well, time was constraint. We wouldn't have make the plane. Finally, he called the Continental Rep at the check-in counter to bring up a check-in tag for our carry-on then the Rep personally take it to the boarding gate then to the baggage bin of the plane. Had only 5 minutes to boarding. I don't know what we've have done. It was real stressful. Did anyone have such ordeal through the Cancun airport lately? There was another gentleman who have the same equipment in his carry-on and he was held back too, he was with American Airline. The TSA regulations certainly are not consistent in all airports. I thought since I can carry-on the plane from the U.S., it should be fine carry-on coming back.

Unfortunately, American has just followed suit and will be charging $25 for the second bag. Of course they are exceptions..

Cancun airport; we came back from Playa del Carmen on April 19, checked in 2 bags. We always carry our regs and camera housing with flash in the carry-on. The TSA always do a search but this time he said no flash allow onboard the plane.

I'm confused. What's the TSA have to do with Cancun airport? Or did you mean this happened at a US airport?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom