Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likely the speed of decomposition depends on:
(1) What sort of plastic each piece is.
(2) Whether a microorganism evolves that can break down this or that sort of plastic.

In 2002 we found a plastic tub floating swamped with water. Inside the tub was fish that later was found to be 1200 miles from its regular habitat. The tub was intact and about 18in x 12in x 10in in size, with little sign of degradation. There is now way to tell how long it would take to break down.

I don't know of anyone who is calling the Pacific Tarsh Vortex a floating island of trash.

Did you watch the GreenPeace video? "7 million tons, twice as big as Texas and 10' deep." If they took the time to weigh it, why didn't remove it?! ScubeeDrew knew this wasn't true and chose to remain silent while many were mislead. :no:

The lessons to be learned here are that:
Cruise ships should be fined severely for dumping.
Green Peace is a radical group of misguided environmentalists.
Exaggerating environmental claims for funding; i.e. Green Peace and Al Gore diminishes the credibility of a potential problem.
We all need to do our part by picking up trash we see.

Did you watch the GreenPeace video? "7 million tons, twice as big as Texas and 10' deep." If they took the time to weigh it, why didn't remove it?! ScubeeDrew knew this wasn't true and chose to remain silent while many were mislead. :no:

The lessons to be learned here are that:
Cruise ships should be fined severely for dumping.
Green Peace is a radical group of misguided environmentalists.
Exaggerating environmental claims for funding; i.e. Green Peace and Al Gore diminishes the credibility of a potential problem.
We all need to do our part by picking up trash we see.

I am not going to debate this idea that the plastic is a floating solid mass. I never claimed that and anyone who does has never been there. The area of gyre where the plastic accumulates in its highest concentration should be referred to as a plastic soup. And that plastic soup extends well beyond 10 ft deep. I found hovering plastic particles as deep as 130ft in 2002.
I have never been misleading in any form regarding this, nor have I chose to remain silent....quite to the contrary actually. It is my goal to get the most accurate information out to the public and make sure that it is based on fact.
The fact is there is tons (and I do mean tons) of plastic particles floating in a vast area of the pacific too large to comprehend unless you see it.
It is unfortunate that Greenpeace has made enough mistakes in the past, that they have become viewed as radical left environmentalists. We can not let that stigma affect our research of a problem that must be addressed. As I said in an earlier reply, there is no room for politics in this.
What really diminishes the credibility is both supporting and contradicting views that are not factually based.
Your comment about Greenpeace "taking the time to weigh it" is one of those statements that is misleading. It implies that it the plastic a solid object that can be picked up and weighed. We can accurately calculate the weight of anything if we know the density and the size, regardless of whether you can actually pick it up and weigh it.
I have no agenda other than I don't want our marine food supply to be saturated with plastic byproducts and I have the opportunity to make an impact on the awareness of this problem. If I had the money in my pocket to do all this without help then I would...without question...but the truth is, I am struggling in this economy like everyone else.
I also believe that when statements and arguments are made by people who refuse to disclose who they are and what they do, then that discredits points made on both sides.
So I am officially asking you "blububble" to reveal who you are and why we should consider even acknowledging your points. I have no problem letting everyone know who I am, what I am doing, why I am doing it, and the facts behind my statements.
I really dont expect you to honor my request, but I have to continue to try.
Drew

Drew,
I choose not to prove who I am which might give some a false reality that my profession or background somehow makes everything I say fact. This way everyone can choose to investigate and learn about issues instead of being pathetic sheep that believe everything heard. All too often people assume that those with higher education or socioeconomic status are speaking the truth without agenda. All too often that is untrue. Al Gore is a prime example. My age,race, religion, profession or party affiliation should have no restriction on my ability to express free speech.

Is there an aerial photo of this floating plastic garbage pile?

Is there an aerial photo of this floating plastic garbage pile?

If all of this plastic was floating at the surface, then I am sure it would be more likely to be visible from aerial photography. I have not personally been to this area so everything I state is simply what I have heard or read and have chosen to believe. According to the initial post, the plastic is floating to a depth of 10 meters. Some people have chosen to twist words and make things up, but the reality is that the floating mass is not a solid form (i.e. island). It is chunks/plastic items floating through the water column. There is evidence of this plastic but I am afraid if anybody is looking to see the weigh scale ticket of every piece of plastic out there, they can continue to live life in denial. The rest of the people can accept it as a possibility or reality and choose to try and make a difference.

Granted, 10 meters depth of plastic garbage would not be evident in a photo, but the surface area would help to put this in perspective for me. A picture speaks a thousand words, and I can see more people getting behind the project if they had a visual of this massive thing, and there's no aerial picture that I've been able to find.

I do agree that if this was a solid island type mass of plastic that was visible from space, then it would be easier to accept as a problem. But, there are those who can and will accept that there is a problem in the world and not question whether it is the size of Texas. There are a couple of pictures in Shaka Doug's initial post. Also, here are a couple of other things which can easily be ignored: One, Two, Three, Four, Five....I could go on but will not. These are not intended to convince or persuade....just to provide some light reading.

Back
Top Bottom