Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please don't take this in a disrepectful way, but there are satellites that can see a pimple on a gopher's ass.
Then why are people lost at sea when planes and helicopters are looking for them and they are much bigger than the plastic? If the military cared about this then we would have the satellite images...but plastic doesn't rank high enough on the threat to national security.

am also aware that there is good money to be made in promoting a crisis.
I am not making a dime off of this...and neither is the NON-PROFIT group heading this study.

believe that it is safe to say that that picture was not taken in the middle of the Pacific.
That picture was taken on a windward beach on the big island of Hawaii...last time I checked...Hawaii is located in THE MIDDLE OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN!

look forward to hearing about your upcoming expedition in June, along with any legitimate photographs.
Well at least your willing to follow the voyage...believe me when I tell you...I WILL GET MORE EVIDENCE to prove this FACT!

The picture below come from Algalita Marine Research Foundation . Take it however you want.

main.php

:rofl3: Have you ever been to Texas? You just confirmed this Vortex scam is just that.

ACQUITY_Particle_Struct.jpg

I have no idea what this is of, however it is to prove a point. Anybody who makes a comment like your last one needs to enable an ability within themselves to see past their own nose. Everything in this world is made of or comprised of things that we cannot see, but they still exist - I believe someone mentioned Jesus - who here has seen him? Nobody? Many believe in him though. There is a lot of space for trash to float in the ocean and just because they only show a small net's catch to depict a sampling of what is in the water, does not mean it is not there. You need to realize that there is an entire world beyond our own meager existence which is not always on full display for our viewing. Sometimes it makes you work to see it.

Last edited:
Then why are people lost at sea when planes and helicopters are looking for them and they are much bigger than the plastic? If the military cared about this then we would have the satellite images...but plastic doesn't rank high enough on the threat to national security.

I am not making a dime off of this...and neither is the NON-PROFIT group heading this study.

That picture was taken on a windward beach on the big island of Hawaii...last time I checked...Hawaii is located in THE MIDDLE OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN!

Well at least your willing to follow the voyage...believe me when I tell you...I WILL GET MORE EVIDENCE to prove this FACT!

Calm down a little bit. I'm not disputing the fact the there is garbage/plastic in the oceans, and for sure, there is going to be garbage washing up on shore in Hawaii. The only thing I'm questioning is the "twice the size of Texas and ten meters deep" part. Exaggeration can discredit a point.

As far as the satellite thing, people are lost because they don't know where to look. "Twice the size of Texas" would be pretty hard to miss, even if it's a color difference. Even weather satellites that have a geostationary orbit with an altitude of 22,250 miles should be able to see this. Military spy (pimple on gopher's ass) satellites are in a lower orbit so the Earth's surface wips by pretty fast. They need to know the location of what they want to see ahead of time in order to aim it, not a good search tool.

I applaud your efforts and your passion on this subject. I truly do hope you post pictures of what you are able to find. My hope is that you are objective in your findings.

My arguement lies in how to deal with the problem. If you're cleaning up garbage on one end, but people still keep piling garbage in the other, you won't get anywhere. You will only be disposing with a lot of money in an endless cycle.

First, stop the bleeding! (or at least slow it down)

Anyway, the spirit of this thread is degrading and I think everyone's point has been made, so I will bow out at this time.

:rofl3: Have you ever been to Texas? You just confirmed this Vortex scam is just that.

Have YOU ever been to the middle of the Subtropical Gyre?

Obviously you fail to respond to my questions because you have no answers...thats why you continue to spout BS and hide behind a fake name with no info. I don't even think you are a diver....but enough of that.

This is a thread for those that care about this, so lets stick to intelligent discussion.

Drew,
As with our conversation last time I saw you, please get us some pics or video of this when you go. I really believe it will help when people can actually see this.
Kudos to you for volunteering. Hope to see you before you leave.
Charlie

To the OP, delete this thread and start a new one minus the links to anything GreenPiece or unfactual. Then you'll have some respect and support from everyone. No one like trash but worse is being misled about reality. Hold firm to the "twice as big as Texas and 10' deep" bologna and expect endless posts similar to mine.

To all of you who have assisted in keeping this thread going....good and bad, I have to sincerely say "Thank you".
The best and easiest thing to do at this point is talk about it, and that is exactly what this thread is doing. All of the ideas that have been mentioned in this thread will be discussed while we are at sea. God only knows we will have plenty of time to talk.
Some of these ideas for clean up and such are new to me and may very well be new to the people in the position to act on it.
So keep talking about it...even if you are not sure if it exists.

Mahalo,
Drew

10' deep and twice as big as Texas yet it hasn't crippled any commercial ships?

And why would it? We're not talking about 1 solid lump here. And having been on commercial ships large and small mid ocean i can guarantee that plastic bags, bottles and other things regularly hit them and/or clog up filters.

That's 537, 162 square miles! LOL Over 100 airplanes a day fly over and no one has ever taken a pic?

Its not 1 solid lump. Try spotting a plastic bag from 8 miles up. Try spotting 100 and you still cant. Now try it with glare off the water. And things slightly submerged.

I believe in Jesus because I have faith.

And with that statement you've just proven you are completely incapable of rational thought or critically evaluating any evidence or facts about anything.

I don't believe in trash hoohah though.

There are peer reviewed articles out there backing up this. So where is your peer reviewed evidence refuting these?

I have seen the results of the Atlantic currents on the islands of Grant Turk and Gibbs Key, nets, trash, even an old sonar transponder of some sort all washed up on the eastern beachs. The islands are small and only catch a fraction of a percent of the crap floating in the Atlantic currents as a result of Europe and ships, I can't imagine how much must be floating in the vortex with USA, Russia, China, just about everyone contributing.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom