P-Valve couplers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for experience in rigging a his & hers set of P-Valves. We have both ends so I'm looking for guidance on the lines and fittings in between, mainly the couplers.

TUBE SIZE?

A) DR, P valve is fitted with a 1/4 barb.

B) She-P was supplied with a 3/8 stub hose & connector. Right now I'm intending to replace this with 1/4 for consistency. I have the reducing barbs to make the transition at the collector.The connectors will be of the same body size series.

C) Since one of the "rules" with these gizmos is to relieve one's self slowly I don't see whey 1/4 tube feeding a 1/4 valve port shouldn't do. Routed right kinking seems avoidable. Thoughts & experience please......

SHUT-OFFS OR NOT?

Having shut-offs would be nice for avoiding spills after use however I'm seeing some downsides.
1) Flow restriction
2) A more intricate device to sanitize. I see myself needing to have flushing couplers to permit cleaning.

So, have you been using the integral shut-off version or not? What works, what doesn't?

All couplers are the Colder series B (7/16 dia. stem)

Thanks,
Pete

I went through similar considerations:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/320857-p-valve-plumbing-size.html

Follow-up and part numbers on page 2.

I went with 3/8" connectors for consistency in I.D. bore throughout the system. I've also found that it's a size many use, so the possibility of finding spares in the field may be better?

I put a female shut-off connector on the P-valve side of the hose and a male non-shut-off on the cath side of the hose. I figured I' prefer not to have pee dribble down the inside of my suit when disconnecting. This also offers the advantage that pee left in the hose doesn't drain out the outer p-valve.

When disconnecting I have a piece of paper towel ready to catch anything dripping from the cath side of the tubing.

I also rigged a short piece of tubing with another male non-shut-off fitting; I slip the tubing over the tip of a plastic bottle with an alcohol/vinegar mix which I then connect to the P-valve tubing and flush the system. This clears remaining pee from the tubing and valve and hopefully disinfects as well.

I further flush and disinfect the p-valve/tubing when I get home and rinse gear.

I'm still new at the P-valve thing, but so far so good.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom