owning multiple computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antmany2k

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all i just bought some regs and an SPG in a package that also came with a free aqualung i300 computer. now i already have a suunto zoop which i love but the dilemma now is do i have 2 or sell 1.

is there a need for 2 computers? i know some people on here dive with 2 or own many but my understanding is that it is mainly tech divers who are diving below recreational limits (i may go to tech in the future but right now i am focused on getting my deep diver certification and anything beyond that i am uncertain at the moment.

i have a friend who wants to buy a computer and offered to buy my zoop but my dilema is do i:

1. sell the zoop to him, its 18 months old and only logged about 40 dives.

2. sell him the i300 and stick with the zoop as i know how it works

3. keep both and have 1 as spare or wear 2 to compare.

money wise i don't need to sell one but it also seems pointless holding onto something that costs over £150 if i won't be using it. but i also i don't want to sell it and find out i should have kept it

what are your thoughts

If money is not an issue I would dive both. If one bombs out on a dive then no big deal. If you are doing multiple days of diving then having a backup that is tracking your inert loading is a big bonus. If you aren't doing extended dive trips and waiting 24 hours before diving is not a problem then there's less reason to hang onto it.

Just play around with the conservatism settings to try and match them if you can. It's good practice to obey the most conservative computer when using multiple DC's.

My computers have GF so I can match them exactly, you may need to do a spot of fiddling.

If money is not an issue I would dive both. If one bombs out on a dive then no big deal. If you are doing multiple days of diving then having a backup that is tracking your inert loading is a big bonus. If you aren't doing extended dive trips and waiting 24 hours before diving is not a problem then there's less reason to hang onto it.

Just play around with the conservatism settings to try and match them if you can. It's good practice to obey the most conservative computer when using multiple DC's.

My computers have GF so I can match them exactly, you may need to do a spot of fiddling.

currently i dive on holiday 3 or 4 times a year for a week at a time usually diving 5-8 days in a row 2-4 dives a day. the zoop is pretty conservative and tells me no fly time but not sure about inert loading. i am only qualified to 30m so currently do deep dive in the morning leave an hour/ hour and half and then do shallower dives so well within my dive table limits and over night should dissipate and be fine for the next day. however i don't know much about the i300 at all, whether it tells me about no dive times or is conservative or not.

If you're going to own two, make sure they're two running the same algorithm, otherwise you'll never get them to agree and be able to use one to back up the other.

I would keep and use them both as backups for each other for sure. When diving, go by the more conservative one and adjust the conservatism factor in the more liberal one to make it match the conservative one (the zoop will probably be the more conservative one).

If you're going to own two, make sure they're two running the same algorithm, otherwise you'll never get them to agree and be able to use one to back up the other.

stupid question but how do i find out if its the same algorithm or get them to match up?

I use 2, SUUNTO D4 (wrist) & Cobra2 (console). I have seen one of them ran out of battery during 2 week, 4x/day diving trip. Good to have backup. I use the Cobra2 as a backup for my SPG too.

Back
Top Bottom