Owning cylinders - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure 2x AL80 cost $700. I think it is more like $350-$400 including valves. If you are OK with used, they can be had for significantly less.

If you are diving air or nitrox in single AL80 (or side mount AL80 for that matter), you are only gaining convenience by owning the same tanks. But if you don't have place to store, I probably won't bother owning. That is one advantage of side mount.

I think you should read the entire sentense, and not quote or read out of context. As you can see, I don't agree 2x AL80 should cost $700. That means I don't agree one AL80 should cost $350, right? I believe $350-$400 is about the cost for two AL80s. But this is of course united state's price. Now sure if Canada is the same.

EE...

Check out DGX for 3AL 80s...$175. for singles with combo valve...$500 and change for doubles...with bands/choice of manifold/bolt kit...all will ship with NITROX ready VIP stickers...

DGX also carries a full range of SM harnesses...and their house brand regs...configured to suit...are rock solid...

Matched with the best after sales service/support in the industry...

Respectfully...anyone paying $350+. for a single 3AL 80/with Pro valve...is shopping wrong...and very likely paying far too much for everything...

Best...

Warren

I have 3 HP100s, 2 AL80s, 1 AL19, & 1 AL40. Pretty much gives me the freedom to take whatever I need when diving and not have to count on shops for rentals. I have found some steel tanks have pretty different buoyancy characteristics as well, so I like knowing my tanks and exactly how much weight I need.

We're gonna need every last person and moose in Canada to take up diving.

I’ve got so many tanks now I’m doing a VIP class in a few weeks.

Have 8 x HP80s, AL30, AL40. I’m not going to mess with things like O2 cleaning, so those would still go to someone else to be done.

And, the class will pay you back, even though stickers are expensive. O2 cleaning is not that hard. Depending on the agency, it might or might not be included in the VIP class. However, you might not have room for the stuff you'd need to do your own.

I have not read all the posts to this but I think the math is a bit flawed. I think you can only look at the cost of the tanks. perhaps 300 the rest like the regs and air should not be counted because air costs are moot as to whether you own or rent. teh regs are moot unless you are renting them and if ou are they are still moot because that cost does not change. so if ythe only aspect is changing form renting to owing the tanks it is only a 300 dollar difference that is 8 dives and you now have your ROI. Buy the tanks.

And, the class will pay you back, even though stickers are expensive. O2 cleaning is not that hard. Depending on the agency, it might or might not be included in the VIP class. However, you might not have room for the stuff you'd need to do your own.

Actually, I think I erred above. ISTR the O2 cleaning is part of one of the blending classes, not a VIP class. I can't actually recall which (TDI or PADI), as I took them both (one was free!).

Well for me its not really an option not to own my own tanks, I am a three hour drive one way to the nearest dive shop I can rent from and then I'd have to drive to return them so I would be out 12 hours driving to rent a tank (two trips up and back). It costs me $25 just to get an air fill where I am at but at least its only an hour drive round trip to get that done, so I have several of my own tanks.

KWS:
I think the math is a bit flawed. I think you can only look at the cost of the tanks. perhaps 300 the rest like the regs and air should not be counted because air costs are moot as to whether you own or rent. teh regs are moot unless you are renting them and if ou are they are still moot because that cost does not change. so if ythe only aspect is changing form renting to owing the tanks it is only a 300 dollar difference that is 8 dives and you now have your ROI. Buy the tanks.
I didn't stop to check your location; but your statement makes no sense (at least for my location). The difference between an air fill vs tank rental is so minimal (here) that it would have taken me years to reach ROI. Buying tanks, for me, only made sense for the convenience factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom