Owning cylinders - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've recently been thinking of getting a pair of own sidemount cylinders but am not sure whether it makes sense. My local shop charges $20 to rent one, so each outing ends up costing me $40. They're Nitrox filled and I don't have to worry about maintenance and storage.

Aluminum tanks with valves would cost about $700 for the pair plus $15 each for the initial fill. That's a total of $730 to own. Within this $730, I'd get 18 rentals of filled tanks ($730/$40). If we then multiply this 18 by the $30 it would cost to fill my own tanks for this many dives, we get $548. Divide this by $40 again and we get another 14 dives. If we keep going until it zeros out, we arrive at 70 dives. If the math is correct, that's 70 dives until we get any ROI.

Does it then make sense to own tanks? If you're a proud owner, what benefits (cost-saving or other) do you get that you otherwise would not? Thanks in advance for feedback.

I am not sure 2x AL80 cost $700. I think it is more like $350-$400 including valves. If you are OK with used, they can be had for significantly less.

If you are diving air or nitrox in single AL80 (or side mount AL80 for that matter), you are only gaining convenience by owning the same tanks. But if you don't have place to store, I probably won't bother owning. That is one advantage of side mount.

I am not sure 2x AL80 cost $700. I think it is more like $350-$400 including valves. If you are OK with used, they can be had for significantly less.

If you are diving air or nitrox in single AL80 (or side mount AL80 for that matter), you are only gaining convenience by owning the same tanks. But if you don't have place to store, I probably won't bother owning. That is one advantage of side mount.

EE...

Check out DGX for 3AL 80s...$175. for singles with combo valve...$500 and change for doubles...with bands/choice of manifold/bolt kit...all will ship with NITROX ready VIP stickers...

DGX also carries a full range of SM harnesses...and their house brand regs...configured to suit...are rock solid...

Matched with the best after sales service/support in the industry...

Respectfully...anyone paying $350+. for a single 3AL 80/with Pro valve...is shopping wrong...and very likely paying far too much for everything...

Best...

Warren

Beware tank creep. I started with 2 steel HP 100s but needed a 3rd for 3 tank spearfishing and shark dives. Then one day, my local captain called a few hours after I just finished diving with him and said that he had a spot open for the next morning. Well, there was not enough time to get my tanks refilled, so I only had one of 3 ready to go. Now, I've got 4 HP 100's. Oh yeah, now that I'm really getting into spearfishing, I've got my first HP 120, and I'm sure it's brother isn't far behind. LOL

Lol. I know what you mean. I'm fighting the urge to pick up a couple HP120's at the moment. I got to dive with 120's recently and enjoyed the extra time below.

I think it is more like $350-$400 including valves.

@W W Meixner - notice the plural in valves.... We are all quite sure it was meant to be for two.... agreed, $350 - $400 is nuts for a single aluminum, and almost too much for steel (even in Canadian - lol)...

YMMV

@W W Meixner - notice the plural in valves.... We are all quite sure it was meant to be for two.... agreed, $350 - $400 is nuts for a single aluminum, and almost too much for steel (even in Canadian - lol)...

YMMV

Hey Bob...

Central Ont. LDS...this was a few years ago...$310..3AL80...+ 13% HST...plus shipping from Cambridge if shop had no stock...which they usually never did...unless you wanted purple or electric green...

Kicked $400. to pieces...ya...nuts...

W...

I know I'm coming late with a comment but I have to agree with what everyone says. For me, having my own tanks is a feeling of freedom. I don't have to go to the dive shop and pick up tanks. That helps me get to the dive site early and get Princess Parking at the Breakwater if it's a day working with students. For me there is no ROI when I dive in Monterey because I don't pay to rent or fill. However, if I did and you're out there diving every weekend and you have to pay to rent and fill then the ROI really shows itself fast. I got my first two Steel 80s for $150. They would have paid for themselves in the first month.

Finally, as everyone has said, like all SCUBA gear, they too multiply. I just realized I have triplicate of gear now and was wondering how and when that happened. LOL.

I’ve got so many tanks now I’m doing a VIP class in a few weeks.

Have 8 x HP80s, AL30, AL40. I’m not going to mess with things like O2 cleaning, so those would still go to someone else to be done.

I’ve got so many tanks now I’m doing a VIP class in a few weeks.

You're taking the class or teaching it. I think it would be fun to learn how to vis my own tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom