Owning a Doppler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Due to an event that I witnessed recently as well as another a few months ago, I have become interested in Doppler technology and the science behind it. I am considering purchasing a unit to carry with me along with the other necessary supplies divers carry like 1st aid kit, O2 ect.

Does anyone own one now that could offer some advice? I know they start at about $600.00 but the one i'm looking at is around $1,400.00. Maybe I dont need this one and for what I want to do, the $600.00 would do it.

Not looking to debate with people who want to sound off on whether or not they agree with Doppler, just those that have real experience to contribute.

Thanks

Not debating, just curoius. Why would you need a doppler on a dive boat?

mikswi:
Due to an event that I witnessed recently as well as another a few months ago, I have become interested in Doppler technology and the science behind it. I am considering purchasing a unit to carry with me along with the other necessary supplies divers carry like 1st aid kit, O2 ect.

Does anyone own one now that could offer some advice? I know they start at about $600.00 but the one i'm looking at is around $1,400.00. Maybe I dont need this one and for what I want to do, the $600.00 would do it.

Not looking to debate with people who want to sound off on whether or not they agree with Doppler, just those that have real experience to contribute.

Thanks

I was an active commercial dive medic (and offshore paramedic) for several years, and have done some volunteer work for several chambers in several places as well.... I was fortunate to be involved in a doppler study for a little over a week. I remember having some difficulty developing and "ear" for what I was supposed to be recording. We had controled conditions, and little distractions. Many of the medics had difficulty discerning bubbles from other blood flow sounds...
I can not think of any practical advantage a doppler unit would have, I'd reccomend investing the funds in an EMT course and then a diver medic course (Divers Alert Network can give you more info), if you were interested in helping injured divers. Lastly, during the study, bubble sounds were recorded on every dive. Even when no symptoms were present. No chamber facility I've personally been envolved with uses doppler information during a emergent run, or as any tool for diagnosis. The only time I had ever seen them is when the Doc's arrived to run doppler experiments. Hope this is helpful.

i'm sure you could use a fetal heart monitor, but since they're huge (think old desktop pc at least) and much more expensive than dopplers, i can't imagine they'd be any advantage at all. and like scwdive said, unless you're used to what you should hear, i don't think there would be a point.

scwdive:
I was an active commercial dive medic (and offshore paramedic) for several years, and have done some volunteer work for several chambers in several places as well.... I was fortunate to be involved in a doppler study for a little over a week. I remember having some difficulty developing and "ear" for what I was supposed to be recording. We had controled conditions, and little distractions. Many of the medics had difficulty discerning bubbles from other blood flow sounds...
I can not think of any practical advantage a doppler unit would have, I'd reccomend investing the funds in an EMT course and then a diver medic course (Divers Alert Network can give you more info), if you were interested in helping injured divers. Lastly, during the study, bubble sounds were recorded on every dive. Even when no symptoms were present. No chamber facility I've personally been envolved with uses doppler information during a emergent run, or as any tool for diagnosis. The only time I had ever seen them is when the Doc's arrived to run doppler experiments. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the info. This is project we are trying to put in place to check the effeciancy of our profiles at altitude (Lake Tahoe). The goal is to produce a study on deco at altitude testing different deco models like VPM, RGBM and Ratio Deco. There is quite a bit of work that will be going into this, and is not something we are taking lightly. However, we will need to get the proper team of volunteers in place to make this thing work.

Well, I guess it depends on what unit(s) your looking at.I can appreciate that you have to "learn" what to listen for.........But, I couldnt do a CESA before I signed up for classes either. It all depends on the level of commitment that you are willing to make towards what your looking to learn.

Im not looking to dive the Doria or set a depth record and I shouldnt have to be looking for that before I can expand my knowledge/resources.

BabyDuck:
i'm sure you could use a fetal heart monitor, but since they're huge (think old desktop pc at least) and much more expensive than dopplers, i can't imagine they'd be any advantage at all. and like scwdive said, unless you're used to what you should hear, i don't think there would be a point.

mikswi:
Well, I guess it depends on what unit(s) your looking at.I can appreciate that you have to "learn" what to listen for.........But, I couldnt do a CESA before I signed up for classes either. It all depends on the level of commitment that you are willing to make towards what your looking to learn.

Im not looking to dive the Doria or set a depth record and I shouldnt have to be looking for that before I can expand my knowledge/resources.
this is a fetal monitor. the handheld units are just known as dopplers.

Back
Top Bottom