OW training for children?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question- when are tips expected, and how much?
Always a popular topic. I think that many overtip thereby creating unfair expectations, but yes - some.
If we booked a boat trip we’d tip the captain and the DM
I just tip the DM and they split it. I think that $5/tank each is a minimum but $10/tank is nice. Any more is excessive unless you received excessive services. If one saves a life, sure, more.
do we tip our instructors?
That would be nice, but don't break your budget.

Resurrecting this Zombie thread to follow up with a specific question.

I have a 13 year old I'll be doing book and pool work with, who then intends to do the OW dives while in Cozumel in August. I certified their Dad and did the referral route for his older brother so I know the family moderately well.

I'd like to recommend a great shop for a 13 year old learning to dive. Some background:

1. Dad's a doc, Mom may be too. I don't think they're hurting for money. So quality over economy is preferred.
2. Dad's a doc, Mom may be too. They're not stupid and won't want to get ripped off.
3. They're wonderful humans. Easy to work with, straighforward, etc.
4. They might run a little socially conservative, in the sense that ribald jokes wouldn't go over well. I guess I'd say they want to work with professionals, not teenagers in adult bodies. (Yes, I realize that rules out most of us SCUBA instructors.)
5. They're good students. Everybody picked up skills easily. The older brother intended to finish training in OW with me, but just froze on the first dive. (Skinnier than average 14 year old does not make for comfort in Puget Sound without the perfect suit.)
6. It'd need to be a PADI instructor.

Any specific shops/instructors folks would recommend?

Resurrecting this Zombie thread to follow up with a specific question.

I have a 13 year old I'll be doing book and pool work with, who then intends to do the OW dives while in Cozumel in August. I certified their Dad and did the referral route for his older brother so I know the family moderately well.

I'd like to recommend a great shop for a 13 year old learning to dive. Some background:

1. Dad's a doc, Mom may be too. I don't think they're hurting for money. So quality over economy is preferred.
2. Dad's a doc, Mom may be too. They're not stupid and won't want to get ripped off.
3. They're wonderful humans. Easy to work with, straighforward, etc.
4. They might run a little socially conservative, in the sense that ribald jokes wouldn't go over well. I guess I'd say they want to work with professionals, not teenagers in adult bodies. (Yes, I realize that rules out most of us SCUBA instructors.)
5. They're good students. Everybody picked up skills easily. The older brother intended to finish training in OW with me, but just froze on the first dive. (Skinnier than average 14 year old does not make for comfort in Puget Sound without the perfect suit.)
6. It'd need to be a PADI instructor.

Any specific shops/instructors folks would recommend?
A real good instructor who takes their time is Almendra. She works with Azul Divers. Speaks good english. Azul Divers Dive Shop | Cozumel Scuba Diving | Mexico

Thanks! Resurrecting this again to see if anybody else has additional ideas.
My personal cheerlead would be Sandro Quijada at Deep Blue.

It might be difficult for people to make specific recommendations as there are many, many dive shops on the island that have thorough, patient, competent professional instructors that would be suitable for instructing someone of any age or background.

If you know where your people intend to stay, it might help narrow down some options. Cozumel Palace? El Presidente? Casa Mexicana? Casa del Mar?

For instance, if they're staying at Blue Angel, it would probably make sense to get a recommendation for an instructor at Blue Angel, etc.

Thanks! Resurrecting this again to see if anybody else has additional ideas.

I certified my son with ScubaTony. Tony is a fantastic instructor but he is rarely on the island anymore (although still a partial owner). That said, I have dived with them on one trip since the change of ownership and nothing much has changed for the worse that I could see. The DMs have come and gone over the years, but they were and are always fantastic. Personally I think they have the best boat captains on the island, too. I say that tongue in cheek since I might know 1% of the boat captains, tops, but Papo and Mago are both incredibly awesome.

They are all consummate professionals, so no worries about off color jokes or comments. They also do charters last I checked so your friends could have that option as well if they want a boat to themselves.

I have no business relationship with ScubaTony other than being an extremely satisfied customer for 15 years.

For instance, if they're staying at Blue Angel, it would probably make sense to get a recommendation for an instructor at Blue Angel...
In that case it would be Mateo (aka Matt From Chicago). He is a great instructor and DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom