OW training for children?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that he is already a DAN member with DAN dive insurance? You'll want the whole family on a family plan and insured. It'd probably be best if you were the primary. It'd be a good idea to call DAN and discuss this.
He is, and I will.
I would certainly hire a private DM for your post-certification dives, all of them.
Any recommendations for a DM?

Any recommendations for a DM?
That would depend on which Op you choose for checkout dives and following dives. You'd want to discuss all aspects with the Ops you interview.

I guess that you've been thru this chart...?
Posting the link to the spreadsheet again so it's easier to find. Anyone who has been recently and has any updated info, feel free to let me know and I will make changes.

Dive ops by jonhall

I talked to them but they don’t pick up from Cozumel Palace- we have to take a taxi to the Tikila beach club and the Fonatur marina.
The taxi fare is $110MXN ($5.50 USD) plus less than a $1 surcharge from a taxi Que or hotel from downtown to the Fonatur marina.
Be advised most instructors that I know of do not want a parent or even friends in the water near them during instruction as it could be distracting to the student.

"Be advised most instructors that I know of do not want a parent or even friends in the water near them during instruction as it could be distracting to the student."

That's a very good point from Gary.

I believe you will be hard pressed to complete an OW certification in a week starting from scratch.
In Mexico, all things are possible.

My daughter trained in Cozumel.

She did the elearning of the classwork at home but all pool and ocean work on the island. Other than being a hummingbird underwater flying all over looking at new things, I think she did well and was pleased.

I did pre-train her on a few things. I taught her how to set a reg and BCD on the tank and made her practice assembly/disassembly in order to drill in some familiarity with gear that really only comes with time. I also put my gear on myself in a shallow pool and let her use the octo to practice taking the reg in/out of her mouth underwater, clearing her mask and mask removal.

I should note my daughter was very comfortable on a boat and in the ocean. If that is not the case, I wouldn't recommend Cozumel. Something shore based would be better.

Hi! We are here now, getting our certifications with Scuba Tony. So far the kids are doing GREAT, better than I am, even. I’m very impressed with both my kids and our instructor.

I have a question- when are tips expected, and how much? If we booked a boat trip we’d tip the captain and the DM, but do we tip our instructors? I have myself and two kids taking the OW course (2 days at shore, 2 boat dives on the last day), and my oldest is getting AOW and Nitrox certified (shore today, 2 boat dives per day for next 2 days).

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom